gitignore and XML/IMI files

Deleted user July 27, 2015

I've added *.xml and *.iml to my gitignore_global.txt file, but those files still appear in the Unstaged Files list. Other file types in the gitignore_global.txt file (e.g. *.pyc) that I've added manually do not appear. What is causing this behavior, and is there a way to fix it?

I'm using SourceTree v 1.6.18.0, but the problem has been around for some time. 

1 answer

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2015

.gitignore will only effect un-indexed files.

If there are .xml or .iml files that are already part of your repository, there is not a practical way that I know of to force SourceTree to ignore changes to those files besides removing them from the repository.

Deleted user July 28, 2015

Thanks for the rapid response, much appreciated. My follow up question is how did these XML/IMI files get added to the repository in the first place? I didn't add them. They're created by PyCharm in the .idea folder it uses for configuration stuff, and they just appear in the list of Unstaged Files.

I've tried removing them from the repository before, but they just keep reappearing. Is there a way to stop this happening?

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2015

Have they been added by another user? You should be able to review your commit history and find the commits where they were added.

Deleted user July 28, 2015

Thanks. That was the answer.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events