git subrepo

Roland Roland August 4, 2012

Our company SVN is Mercurial. As our software consists of many modules we enjoy the subrepo feature of mercurial. every now and then I would like to add a Git repo as a subrepo in my projects. I have the Hg-Git extension installed on my machine. The problem is that other co-workers can't commit to this projects if they don't have hg-git installed. Does sourcetree support git subrepos natively?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2012

SourceTree doesn't require the Hg-Git extension to use git subrepos inside a hg repository (I have a few cases of this myself). Mecurial natively supports having git repositories as subrepositories, and this is how SourceTree supports them too. Using Hg-Git would turn the subrepo into a hg subrepo (but converted via Hg-Git to interop with remote git), which as you say would cause a problem for people without this extension. On the whole I think it's simpler just to use the git subrepo natively unless you have a good reason not to.

Roland Roland August 5, 2012

Hello Steve,

thanks for your answer. This is good news. I thought it would be much more complicated.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events