Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'git log' failed with code 5

Aron Malkine December 19, 2014

I just upgraded to version 2.0.4 and now when I open the app, I get several errors that read:

'git log' failed with code 5:'dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: ___strlcpy_chk

Referenced from: /Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/git_local/bin/git
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: ___strlcpy_chk
Referenced from: /Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/Resources/git_local/bin/git
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

hat should I do? Hoping reinstalling is not required.

12 answers

11 votes
TCS Developer December 20, 2014

I also had this issue after upgrading to 2.0.4.  For now as a work around, I have changed from the embedded git to the version on my system.  You can do this by selecting SourceTree -> Preferences -> Git -> Use System Git

Hopefully Atlassian will fix this soon.

Greg Rebholz December 21, 2014

Same issue here after upgrade to 2.0.4.   Reverting to system git (1.8.5.2) worked around for me as well.

Greg Rebholz December 22, 2014

Should have mentioned this was on OSX 10.8.5

Like superclass2 likes this
TCS Developer December 23, 2014

I am also running 10.8.5

bauerdev December 23, 2014

Also on 10.8.5... can't work... Can't clone either "dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: ___strlcpy_chk..."

Pascal December 29, 2014

Thanks TCS Developer! This error message scared the sh*t out of me, all repo's seemed gone. Switching to system git also did the trick for me (also running OSX 10.8.5) Hope they'll fix it quickly to restore trust in the (development of the) app.

Miles January 5, 2015

Thanks for the workaround. This solved the issue for me.

Paula Molinero January 23, 2015

Thanks TCS Developer, that did the trick for me.

Ben Rush January 24, 2015

If switching to system git (I recently installed command line tools for xcode), dosen't solve the problem -- what to do?

Deleted user January 24, 2015

Do you use Homebrew http://brew.sh/ ? Right now I'm using SourceTree v1.9.8 with system git 2.2.2 (homebrew), and system hg 3.2.4 (homebrew), all working fine. I guess you can do the same with SourceTree 2.x too, I'll wait to upgrade until the next version.

1 vote
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2015

Hey there,

I'm the developer responsible for this release. 2.0.4 was an urgent maintenance release for CVE-2014-9390, so we shipped it with an existing binary release that addressed the issue. That binary release doesn't support 10.8 and prior, and this is something we're looking to address as we plan on continued support for 10.8.

In the meantime - as suggested in here already - you can use a system Git version from the Xcode Command Line Tools that addresses CVE-2014-9390 which is really easy to do (available through developer.apple.com). You may find there's a system Git already installed that's OK to use.

We'll be embedding a binary Git version which works on all OS X versions in the near future.

Cheers

0 votes
Kevin Alexander December 10, 2015

As of 2.0.5.8, this issue still exists for OS X 10.8.5.  Reverting back to 2.0.3 allows it to work.  When will this be addressed?

0 votes
raghaaav February 1, 2015

I just pinpointed the problem. It's the new version of Git (2.2.1) that's causing the issue. Using the old Git (1.8.4.2), I don't get the error anymore. I upgraded to SourceTree 2.0.4 and got the error. Thinking it was because my git was outdated, I updated the System Git to 2.2.1 and pointed SourceTree to the new git (Preferences -> Git). No bueno. I reverted to Sourcetree 2.0.3. It was still pointing to the System Git (2.2.1). Still no bueno. I pointed Sourcetree (Preferences -> Git) to the embedded Git (1.8.4.2) and it worked! No more error. I have a feeling that I was getting an error with the new git because I am on OSX Lion, not Mavericks. If you have SourceTree 2.0.4, try pointing SourceTree to Git 1.8.4.2. If you have SourceTree 2.0.3, make sure to use the embedded git.

0 votes
Orson Bradford January 30, 2015

I had the same result. Going back to 2.0.3 fixed the problem. http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/SourceTree_2.0.3.dmg

0 votes
Ben Currie January 1, 2015

Ouch - wish I'd read this before updating. Pop up errors many. Fortunately reinstalling 2.0.3 over 2.0.4 and everything reappeared again. OS X 10.8.5.

0 votes
bauerdev December 24, 2014

Gave it one more try. This cause "fatal: Unable to create [my_project_path].git/index.lock': File exists." when tying to pull. Tried to follow Atlassian's help: https://blog.sourcetreeapp.com/2014/12/18/atlassian-update-for-git-and-mercurial-vulnerability/ But nothing worked except reverting to 2.0.3 removing the whole project and re-cloning it. Really bad.

0 votes
Deleted user December 23, 2014

Also confirmed that delete related plist, .gitconfig files and reinstall did not help.

0 votes
Deleted user December 23, 2014

Same here, all repos stopped working and showing the errors above - 10.8.5

0 votes
Noah_Reddell December 22, 2014

I see this same problem on my machine running OS X 10.8.5. But no problem on my machine running OS X 10.9.5.

0 votes
Aron Malkine December 22, 2014

Reinstalling did not help.

0 votes
Jorge Diaz December 20, 2014

Holly cows. Same issue here for ALL my repos. sad

bookingpad-web__Git_.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events