Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

git error during pull

Elroy Mihailov November 22, 2013

Lately when I do a pull in sourcetree, it just hangs. The error that I get is below. Any ideas?

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree pull --no-commit origin master

git: 'credential-osxkeychain' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

From https://bitbucket.*********

* branch master -> FETCH_HEAD

3 answers

0 votes
Elroy Mihailov February 5, 2014

I'm back to looking at this issue again. I've tried both embeded git and system and neither one will allow me to do a pull on the mac. I've been having to do all sourcetree work through Parlells. Strange that it works on windows through parallels but not on the mac. I've been keeping up with the Souretree updates as well and neither of the last two updates has resolved the issue for me. Any other ideas I can try?

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2013

Hey Elroy,

First of all, listen to Jeff if you want to get rid of these 'errors'. This area is actually something I had to get elbow deep in as I was the one dealing with it in SourceTree.

1. It's not actually an error. Git reports many things on the error stream which aren't errors. It's a warning to say that the helper that's set up in Git isn't available because you're using our embedded version.
  2. The next version of SourceTree will include an updated version of embedded Git so hopefully you should no longer get this error.
  3. You can see in the command that a credential helper is being manually set. This is SourceTree's custom authentication helper which manages your credentials for you. Git has a load of config files that are hierarchical in that it takes on all of the preferences from the git config files, the global one includes the credential-osxkeychain helper which isn't available on SourceTree's PATH for embedded Git.

In short, it's nothing to worry about.

Cheers!

Elroy Mihailov December 1, 2013

I've tried switching to the embeded Git in Sourcetree but still can't seem to pull. Could the embeded git be corrupted in some way? Hopefully the next Sourctree update will come soon.

Elroy Mihailov February 7, 2014

Sorry. This was meant to be a continuation of the above comment and not an answer. I'm back to looking at this issue again. I've tried both embeded git and system and neither one will allow me to do a pull on the mac. I've been having to do all sourcetree work through Parlells. Strange that it works on windows through parallels but not on the mac. I've been keeping up with the Souretree updates as well and neither of the last two updates has resolved the issue for me. Any other ideas I can try?

0 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2013

Hi Elroy, I believe you can fix this by switching to the system version of Git and not the embedded version.

Command + , -> Git tab -> Use System Git

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events