Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

customized git log output

Daniel Bächtle November 4, 2012

Hello,

is was wondering if there is the possibility to create a customized git log. We are working with different version and bugfix branches in git and need to know, which of the commits haven't been cherry picked from the bugfix to the version branch.

Via the command line it goes like this:

git log --cherry-pick --oneline --no-merges branch1...branch2

Greets, Daniel

1 answer

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2012

Sorry, you can't add extra options to the log display right now. A couple of things that may or may not help:

1. You can multi-select rows in the log and SourceTree will show the difference between those two points in time (although it only shows the changes, not the individual commits)
  2. You can run Custom Actions to perform any command you like, but that obviously won't be formatted nicely or allow you explore the content like you can do normally with commits inside ST

Daniel Bächtle November 5, 2012

Is something like this planed? We're a big team and not everybody is capabale of using the command line (or doesn't want to).

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2012

I've added a feature request for more log filtering options: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-1261

FWIW, I've always organised bugfix / release branches so that you there's no need to cherry-pick (unless someone commits to the wrong branch), since bugfix branches are always merged forward wholesale into the main development branch, rather than cherry-picking bugfixes back into the fix branch. This is also how git-flow recommends that you work.

Daniel Bächtle November 5, 2012

Thank you. I certainly agree with you that this is be best workflow. Unfortunaltely our workflow isn't like that. We've only got "huge" versions (like 1, 2, 3, 4) and especially bugfixes need to be cherry-picked from the main development branch into the older versions.

It's like this:

master -> bugfix_version_1 -> version_1

In the bugfix branch the commits are checked and eventually cherry-picked into the older version. With a lot of versions and developers it's hard to keep track. And the command I posted above works fine to determine which of the bugfixes ain't in the version.

If I would be able to get this in the search view it would help a lot.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events