Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compare branch to master

Markus June 18, 2015

how can i compare two branches. lets say my working dev-branch to master or master to origin/master.

i can do this with git command line but how can this be done with sourctree. is it possible to have this in also an external diff tool? filemerge can handle a "directory diff".

i sometimes want to have the external diff to view the complete file and not only the "differences"

markus

2 answers

4 votes
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2015

Use control-click or command-click to select any two commits (so both are highlighted at the same time)

The window in the lower left shows you a list of all files that were different (added, deleted, or modified)

You can select a file from that list to see the specific changes in that file between the two selected commits.source_tree_diff.png

You can also configure a third party diff tool, but the built-in functionality has met my needs so I don't have any experience with that.

scott morgan biggs July 7, 2021

Hmmm, I know this is really stale, but I just started using souretree.  This shows how to compare two commits, but the OP asked for difference in branches.  How do you know which commits to click on?

1 vote
sreekumar_menon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2015

You can select 2 commits (cmd click) and compare in sourcetree. to compare 2 branches select the tip of the branches in log view , you can do the same for local and origin too.

But I usually use terminal since it is easier .

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events