beyond compare

petehug February 13, 2017

I'm using Beyond Compare 3 and SourceTree 1.10.20.1. I've tried everything I could think of to get SourceTree to use Beyond Compare as the external diff tool to no avail (edit .gticonfig directly, using the Tools|Options|Diff dialog once by selecting Beyond Compare as the external diff tool and once by selecting Custom and entering the commands manually). Below is what SourceTree ads to .gitconfig when I select Beyond Compare:

[difftool "sourcetree"]
	cmd = 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Beyond Compare 3/BComp.exe' \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\"
[mergetool "sourcetree"]
	cmd = 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Beyond Compare 3/BComp.exe' \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\" \"$BASE\" \"$MERGED\"
	trustExitCode = true

I can't see anything wrong with this, yet Ctrl+D or external Diff does simply nothing.

I had this all working, so what am I missing?

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2017

Some initial troubleshooting ideas:

1) Did you install Beyond Compare 3 to that location? My computer has a SSD for C, so I typically install software onto my D drive instead.

2) Have you tried launching Beyond Compare from the command line using that command (replacing the variables with test files)?

3) Have you tried running "git difftool" from the command line? It should use that same config to launch Beyond Compare 3.

4) Is there another diff tool that SourceTree will launch correctly? If so, you might check to see if it escapes characters the same way in the .gitconfig.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events