beyond compare

I'm using Beyond Compare 3 and SourceTree I've tried everything I could think of to get SourceTree to use Beyond Compare as the external diff tool to no avail (edit .gticonfig directly, using the Tools|Options|Diff dialog once by selecting Beyond Compare as the external diff tool and once by selecting Custom and entering the commands manually). Below is what SourceTree ads to .gitconfig when I select Beyond Compare:

[difftool "sourcetree"]
	cmd = 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Beyond Compare 3/BComp.exe' \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\"
[mergetool "sourcetree"]
	cmd = 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Beyond Compare 3/BComp.exe' \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\" \"$BASE\" \"$MERGED\"
	trustExitCode = true

I can't see anything wrong with this, yet Ctrl+D or external Diff does simply nothing.

I had this all working, so what am I missing?

1 answer

Some initial troubleshooting ideas:

1) Did you install Beyond Compare 3 to that location? My computer has a SSD for C, so I typically install software onto my D drive instead.

2) Have you tried launching Beyond Compare from the command line using that command (replacing the variables with test files)?

3) Have you tried running "git difftool" from the command line? It should use that same config to launch Beyond Compare 3.

4) Is there another diff tool that SourceTree will launch correctly? If so, you might check to see if it escapes characters the same way in the .gitconfig.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

503 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot