basic help needed please!

dilby February 20, 2017

bb_screenshot.png

Hi all -

I hope no one minds me asking such a dumb question, but I'm new to SourceTree (And git really) and am trying to get to grips with it. I've watched a few videos, but they're all too theoretically for how my brain works, so I've gone ahead and used it on a project i'm working on (with one other person).

I was hoping that someone could help point out to me some running commentary to the steps above? For example, is 'Origin' not the name of an actual branch, but the name of the up to date project? And was the first thing to happen that changes from the Dylan branch were merged? If so, why do the steps above it not have a blue bubble? The video I was watching suggested that if there was no bubble it meant that branch was being worked on separately, but the line on the left would fork out ,which it doesn't.

I hope my questions make sense - sincere apologies for being so thick sad I'm trying.

1 answer

0 votes
Andreas Vandenberghe February 21, 2017

hi,

"origin" refers to a remote Git repository (the name "origin" can be anything). 

So you're having one on which you do the commits, and "origin" is another repo.

As git is a distributed source control system, you don't really need a remote until you start working with others or wanting to sync your repo to an offsite backup.

in the screenshot above, the branch "master" on Origin is in line with your local branch named "Dylan".

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events