Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your selected Mercurial is older than 3.7.3. - How to update?

Dryw Wade July 21, 2016

I just updated to SourceTree v. 1.9.5.0, and whenever I open it, I get a window that tells me that Mercurial is out of date (see photo). When I close the window, SourceTree runs just fine. Any ideas on why this happened, or how to fix it? Thanks!

st_mercurial.PNG

2 answers

1 accepted

23 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2016

Try going to Options > Mercurial. If you are using Embedded Mercurial, there should be a button to upgrade. If you are using system Mercurial, it's up to you.

Dryw Wade July 22, 2016

Perfect, thanks!

Like # people like this
Ryan Potts July 26, 2016

To get past the warning message Check the box for Don't ask me again then click close.  You will then find your self in SourceTree.  My experience was that if I didn't check the box the software would close and I was left wondering what to do.  Seth's instructions take care of updating the embedded Mercurial.

Like Murray_Lorden likes this
Dryw Wade July 26, 2016

I didn't check the box, because I wanted to fix the issue rather than ignore it.

Matthias Stevens August 4, 2016

On my machine (Win10 x64) when I click "Close" (weather or not having checked "Don't ask me again") I see a SourceTree crash report window (i.e. ST seems to have crashed) and never actually see the ST window. In other words, the mercurial problem is completely locking me out of ST.

Jørgen Nørgaard August 4, 2016

I'm behind a firewall where this seems not to work (unable to update embedded mercurial).

Did make me wonder though, why the embedded stuff is not part of the update?
Embedded seems to suggest just that; to me at least.

/jørgen

Brent Rossow August 8, 2016

@Matthias Stevens ~ There is an update to SourceTree (released on/around 29th July) that addresses problems with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. If you've installed that Win10 update, try grabbing the latest ST.  (See this thread on Reddit for a possible workaround if for some reason you don't want to or can't update ST.)  I haven't had this problem personally (still on Win7) but saw your comment and thought I'd mention this.

Matthias Stevens August 9, 2016

@Brent Rossow: Thanks, version 1.9.6.1 indeed solved the problem.

Johan E. Bengtsson November 1, 2016

It seems a bit silly that SourceTree bugs the user about this, while not offering any hint on HOW to do the update (or offering to do the update, or actually doing the update as part of updating SourceTree - I got the very latest SourceTree version). I never heard about Mercurtial either... it seems I am using Git only.

I found the Options... Mercurial tab, and used the "Updated embedded Mercurial" button. I had to then restart SourceTree to get rid of the cryptic pop-up.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2016

@Johan E. Bengtsson - If you think something should be changed, submit a bug report or feature request to jira.atlassian.com. Everyone who has participated on this question is a user like you. We might fully agree with you, but we can't do anything about it.

If you do submit on jira, post a link here, and the others who have had a similar issue can find it and vote it up.

Peter McLarty January 1, 2017

Added a JIRA to get this resolved, ridiculously obvious this is a bug which requires resolving by Atlassian https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-6713

Pinski February 5, 2017

Why not just let us update directly from the pop up?

Peter McLarty February 6, 2017

I would except it doesn't work, it might be due to the proxy, but the application has proxy settings done for its other stuff Sourcetree reminds me each time there is an update so that works. It doesn't seem to be able to handle downloading and installing the update behind the proxy 

6 votes
Harpreet Singh January 11, 2017

Follow below steps to resolve this issue

1. Open SourceTree
  2. GoTo Tools >> Options
  3. In Options Console, Click on Mercurial Tab
  4. Click on Update Embedded Mercurial Button. It will doenload and update the Mercurial in your Source Tree
  5. Almost in all above steps it will keep on showing that popup. Just close it. 
  6. Once Update is done, restart the SourceTree.

You are all SET. 

Cheers,

Harpreet

Kim Dennison April 2, 2018

Perfect!  Very simple.  Thank you, Harpreet!

Betty Zhang May 2, 2019

Excellent, Harpreet !!!! Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events