Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word by word diff for Sourcetree

Jackson Del Bonis-O'Donnell April 22, 2013

Is it possible to make the internal diff view for Sourcetree display word by word differences like the command line version of git: git diff --color-words? This would be VERY helpful for working with LaTex files.

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

It's not possible right now, sorry. Parsing colour control characters outside a real terminal can be tricky.

Jackson Del Bonis-O'Donnell April 23, 2013

Thanks. I do hope that they can implement it in the future!

Scott Marcy March 19, 2014

If you're parsing the output of 'git diff' directly, wouldn't the addition of --word-diff=porcelain make parsing reliable?

I could have saved myself a lot of grief recently with word-level diff'ing. I'd love to still see the entire line be highlighted, but have the word-level changes be highlighted in a stronger color, like BBEdit does.

Thanks!

Peter Kling February 24, 2016

Just wondering, any updates on this? Or still not feasible to implement any time soon?

Like Pavel Cherentsov likes this
greg donovan February 26, 2016

This is critical to have

Russell Trafford March 2, 2016

This is now 3 years on. Can we re-visit this issue and see if its now possible to implement?

If git command line can do it, surely SourceTree should be able to?

Also, Gitlab Web UI interface seems to be able to identify which words in a line have changed.

14 votes
Russell Trafford March 2, 2016

This is now 3 years on. Can we re-visit this issue and see if its now possible to implement?

If git command line can do it, surely SourceTree should be able to?

Also, Gitlab Web UI interface seems to be able to identify which words in a line have changed.

I have raised this as a feature request as this still does not seem to have been implemented 3 years on (2016).

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-3598

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-5113

Toland Hon June 20, 2016

SRCTREE-3598 has been marked a duplicate of: 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-888

^-- vote for this one

Vantigate July 15, 2016

Parsing color control characters may be difficult to do outside of the CLI, but can't you do it a different way?  If gitk can do it, can't you just look at how they do it in their source, and then adapt it to your program?

hifismith August 29, 2016

The "Diff Colours" option (OS X version) looks like there are color schemes built for word-by-word diffs (light green, light red, dark green, dark red), but it's not implemented?

Chen Han December 20, 2017

it sucks, github and vscode are supported this features so long ago, what the PM 's plan ?

4 votes
Joon Ro May 1, 2013

Yes this would be very helpful for LaTeX/LyX files.

2 votes
blockloop February 19, 2014

gitk has this functionality. It can be passed in via command line or changed in the gui. It has both color diff and porcelain. I'd love to see this in SourceTree.

2 votes
stefek99 February 11, 2014

I'm writing a lot of front-end code and wrapping some elements in <div> and indenting makes all the lines red...

Can we have --color-words ?

1 vote
Julian B November 21, 2013

I would also love this functionality, would be really helpful!

0 votes
benomatis November 14, 2013

SmartGit/HG does that perfectly, but I hate the look of the rest of the app. This is really the only thing I'm missing from SourceTree!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events