Windows version bug that resulted in lost code

Ryan Scott April 25, 2013

This is more of a bug report than anything, unless of course there is a way to retrieve my lost code.

I had about 30 files to commit. Some were existing files that I had changed, others were new files.

I switched Commit Mode to "Selected Files" then noticed that I had some PSD's that I did not desire to commit.

I did a search for PSD and narrowed the list down to two.

I right clicked the first PSD and selected REMOVE.

I right clicked the second PSD and selected REMOVE.

At this point, my list refreshed and I noticed that one of my files "DeviceManager.cs" was marked as having been deleted. Upon investigating further, it appears that Atlassian deleted the file in response to me removing one of the PSDs above.

I of course Discarded the delete, but as a result, my file along with all changes I had made were lost. Can I get them back? I'm guessing no... in any case, this is a pretty nasty bug that should be looked at. Hopefully what I listed out is enough to find and fix the thing.

EDIT

This was using version 0.9.1.0

3 answers

1 vote
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2013
I don't use source tree but if you go to command line and do 'git reflog' it will show you the commit ids of every head you were at. In git, as long as its been committed at some stage nothing is ever lost. Even modifying commits is really just branching off an older commit. The original commit is still there. So I suppose for you if you have committed that file before then you can still get it back.
Ryan Scott April 28, 2013

The problem is that I didn't have the changes committed yet, as they were newly made changes.

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2013

So far I haven't been able to re-create this with 0.9.1.2 - can you tell me what version you were using please?

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2013

I'm very sorry about this, it sounds like a selection bug. I'll try to reproduce it - I assume that DeviceManager.cs was modified and the PSDs were untracked? Can you recall where they were in relation to one another in the list? It may not be specific to these issues but I want to make sure I nail it.

[edit]In answer to whether you can get the changes back, if they were uncommitted changes then I'm afraid not. You should have had a confirmation message about unrecoverable changes, but I expect that you assumed, understandably, that it was in relation to the PSD (it's the same message for untracked files). Again, sincere apologies for this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events