Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window 7 Duplicate git clone issue

Dean Mraz April 29, 2013

I recently updated and started having issues with two local git repositories that are identical. I have one on the master branch and another on different branch. They act as if they are communicating with each other and modify/delete files between the two even though they are both at the head of their branch.

4 answers

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2013

I don't think it's really a good idea to have your git repo in a Dropbox folder, git is quite dynamic about the handling of files in there and although it theory it should all work, I'm not confident that there won't be side-effects in doing that.

0 votes
Dean Mraz May 1, 2013

Cloned from the same remote resource. I think it actually has something to do with having my home computer and work computer sharing the same files via dropbox. I use source tree on both and have all the same local repository listings. Do you think having them both open at the same time and making edits from one computer can cause issues? I do remember seeing both computers with the issue and having to reset to head commit.

0 votes
Dean Mraz May 1, 2013

Cloned from the same remote resource. I think it actually has something to do with having my home computer and work computer sharing the same files via dropbox. I use source tree on both and have all the same local repository listings. Do you think having them both open at the same time and making edits from one computer can cause issues? I do remember seeing both computers with the issue and having to reset to head commit.

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2013

Did you clone one from the other locally, or both from the same remote source? When you clone locally git shares data storage between the 2 repositories using symlinks - however this shouldn't change what your working copy looks like or where your branches are pointing, it just means that commit objects may only be stored once.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events