Window 7 Duplicate git clone issue

I recently updated and started having issues with two local git repositories that are identical. I have one on the master branch and another on different branch. They act as if they are communicating with each other and modify/delete files between the two even though they are both at the head of their branch.

4 answers

Did you clone one from the other locally, or both from the same remote source? When you clone locally git shares data storage between the 2 repositories using symlinks - however this shouldn't change what your working copy looks like or where your branches are pointing, it just means that commit objects may only be stored once.

Cloned from the same remote resource. I think it actually has something to do with having my home computer and work computer sharing the same files via dropbox. I use source tree on both and have all the same local repository listings. Do you think having them both open at the same time and making edits from one computer can cause issues? I do remember seeing both computers with the issue and having to reset to head commit.

Cloned from the same remote resource. I think it actually has something to do with having my home computer and work computer sharing the same files via dropbox. I use source tree on both and have all the same local repository listings. Do you think having them both open at the same time and making edits from one computer can cause issues? I do remember seeing both computers with the issue and having to reset to head commit.

I don't think it's really a good idea to have your git repo in a Dropbox folder, git is quite dynamic about the handling of files in there and although it theory it should all work, I'm not confident that there won't be side-effects in doing that.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

431 views 0 1
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you