Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there be a "native" Windows GUI for Sourcetree?

raulgd July 16, 2013

Hi all,

Will there be sometime soon a native GUI design for Windows Sourcetree? because right now is a weird Chimera mixing OS X, some Windows, and some that doesn't follow any UI guidelines.

It's also pretty annoying to have those huge buttons at the top toolbar, and there's now way to make them small like a normal Windows program, and also can't remove the labels so that they use less space in the toolbar.

Having this gray theme on the Windows just looks really bad, as the tabs look like made with jquery for a web page instead of a desktop application, and they are huge as well, and having no lines or anything separating the UI components, and just a gray background, the Sourcetree window seems like it was made by a high school student learning how to create GUIs with VB6.

I think you guys are awesome, and your product is amazing, I use it on the mac as well and you did a great job creating that GUI, I think it's time you give the same love to Windows.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

Hey Raul,

We are committed to making the Windows version a great experience for all users both in form and function. The Windows version is still in its very early days as the first public-ready version (1.0) only very recently came out. We do plan on investing more time in the user experience extensively so there's more continuity between platform and product, reflecting what the user expects on each operating system.

For now we've made it our focus to deliver the functions that the majority of users need whilst still making it usable rather than pretty.

Sit tight and watch this space as in the near future we will be making more changes. If you've got any particular requests/suggestions/comments you could always file feature requests on jira.atlassian.com, even if it's to say "X looks ugly, it should look more like Y (example)".

We're open to any input, that's how we're building a better product, by guys like you giving us the feedback we need, so thanks!

HTH

raulgd July 16, 2013

Thanks Kieran!,

Your effort on having a great Git client on Windows is just awesome, I love your product on the Mac and that's why I'm giving you this feedback on Windows, I'm sorry if it could have sounded mean, but I'm trying to get everyone at work to start switching from SVN to DVCS, mainly we use Mercurial and we're moving to Git because of Stash, and having a better product that users like more will really ease on this transition.

People currently like their SVN clients better, and I've been getting feedback that Sourcetree is good but it's not as good as SVN, which is not helping in promoting the transition to the other developers, by having them read this answer will make them see that Atlassian products are not static, they are quickly evolving all the time and that you really are open to suggestions from the users unlike other companies.

So thanks for this answer, and keep up the awesome work!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events