Will Sourcetree embedded git conflict with other git installs?

Steve Kissh December 8, 2013

I installed Sourcetree with embbeded git. Now I'm taking the Bitbucket 101 tutorial that wants me to install git. Is there a problem or advantage of having both gits?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2013

Hey Steve,

You can have both installed if you wish. The benefits are:

1. You'll be able to use Git on the terminal (you could probably do this with SourceTree's embedded Git but you'd have to put it on your PATH and perhaps some other manual configuring)
  2. If you mess up your local Git install SourceTree would be unaffected provided you're using embedded.
  3. If you want to use a more recent version of Git, then this is where using system Git comes in handy, for example if Git were having performance problems in an older version with some feature that SourceTree uses, then using an updated system Git version may resolve this.

So there are advantages based on your needs, but there's no problem with having both at all. SourceTree's Git install is completely self contained so wouldn't be affected.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events