Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Sourcetree add file overlay icons to Windows 7 or do I have to install Tortoise GIT?

John_Featherlin October 29, 2014

I've switched from Tortoise GIT to Source Tree on a new Windows 7 PC. I like it much better so far but I miss the file icon overlays in Windows explorer (i.e. green checkbox for files that are committed).  Was that feature added by Tortoise GIT?  How can I add icon overlays with Sourcetree?

icon overlays.gif

Thanks for your help!

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2014

SourceTree does not integrate with Windows Explorer at all. If you want the overlays, you'll need to have TortoiseGit installed. There should be no conflict running both in parallel.

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2014

I have both (and GitExtensions and Visual Studio), they do not interfere.

1 vote
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2014

See here discussion on installing both: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/319780

0 votes
John_Featherlin December 5, 2014

Follow-up ....  I chose to abstain from installing Tortoise Git for the past month to force myself to just get used to using SourceTree to view changed files instead of relying on icon overlays in explorer to see what has changed.  I must have adjusted pretty well because I forgot all about icon overlays until now.  smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events