Will Sourcetree add file overlay icons to Windows 7 or do I have to install Tortoise GIT?

I've switched from Tortoise GIT to Source Tree on a new Windows 7 PC. I like it much better so far but I miss the file icon overlays in Windows explorer (i.e. green checkbox for files that are committed).  Was that feature added by Tortoise GIT?  How can I add icon overlays with Sourcetree?

icon overlays.gif

Thanks for your help!

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Accepted answer

SourceTree does not integrate with Windows Explorer at all. If you want the overlays, you'll need to have TortoiseGit installed. There should be no conflict running both in parallel.

I have both (and GitExtensions and Visual Studio), they do not interfere.

Follow-up ....  I chose to abstain from installing Tortoise Git for the past month to force myself to just get used to using SourceTree to view changed files instead of relying on icon overlays in explorer to see what has changed.  I must have adjusted pretty well because I forgot all about icon overlays until now.  smile

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Oct 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configure your repos for hosting goodness!

Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...

848 views 3 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you