Why is a restart of SourceTree needed for Remote Fetch/Pull to work?

Gary Creech January 11, 2017

On my Windows install, I have to exit SourceTree and re-enter SourceTree each morning before remote fetches will work... Why?

Seems to be related to a long period of time in-between SourceTree use.

Is there another workaround (for instance, Refresh does not fix the problem).

Seems that local functions seem to work OK, but anything that is dealing with the remote, seems to fail.  My Remote is on Bitbucket (if that is relevant).

Also, when the commands are sent manually from either CMD or MinGW, the commands execute.  When I use the Custom Commands, they do not work (when ST is in this state).  My custom commands are using CMD environment (used a custom command "which git.exe" to prove that is using Windows path to git.exe).  Did a git --version and got "git version 2.8.3.windows.1".  Did this in WinGW terminal, Windows CMD, and Custom Command in ST.

A re-start of ST fixes all ... but, this is very consistent.

Thanks.

6 answers

0 votes
Gary Creech March 30, 2017

Since I have turned off the auto-update under the General options tab, this problem has gone away ... now I just always manually hit the Fetch button before I do anything ...

0 votes
Seth January 24, 2017

Unless you have a specific reason to use system git, you might try switching to embedded. Theoretically, SourceTree is tested against the git builds that they distribute as "embedded", and might help avoid this kind of problem.

Besides that, idk what's going on.

0 votes
Gary Creech January 23, 2017

system git

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2017

Very strange. One more question, are you using embedded or system git?

0 votes
Gary Creech January 22, 2017

No error - just sits forever with the scanning work progress bar looking like it is trying ... If I go out and back into ST, and try again, the action always completes immediately.

BTW - I have auto checking of remotes for updates every 10 minutes set ... I tried unchecking this box.

The behavior was changed.

(to clarify)

When I uncheck the remote update box under General Options, I have not had to restart ST (that I have observed as of yet).  Fetches and Pulls seem to work, even after long periods of time (like overnight).

Of coarse I have to manually update with a fetch, but, so far the above has not been observed.  Perhaps the two are related ...

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2017

What kind of error do you get?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events