Why is Sourcetree not letting me push to the origin?

Evan Solomon December 14, 2017

I am trying to push to a remote repo from my local and it keeps saying there's an authentication error.  I went to Tools > Authentication and I set the right account as default and it has the correct password.  I tried deleting other passwords that were saved and it wouldn't let me, so I just changed all the passwords to the one for the account I am looking to push.  I am still not able to push to the origin from my local branch.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2017

Hi Evan,

• Are you able to perform a git push to the origin from your local branch via the command line?

I have seen this resolved by removing the password file from the operating System.  Take a look at the Communities post titled  How to update HTTP(S) credentials in sourcetree for more information.  The locations you're going to be looking for are as follows:

• Windows: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree
  • OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/SourceTree

Once you remove the password file, restart SourceTree and perform an action that should prompt for the password such as another push, etc.  Let us know if that works for you and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

Branden

Evan Solomon December 14, 2017

Thanks for your help! That worked.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2017

Awesome! I'm glad we could help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events