Why is Sourcetree not letting me push to the origin?

I am trying to push to a remote repo from my local and it keeps saying there's an authentication error.  I went to Tools > Authentication and I set the right account as default and it has the correct password.  I tried deleting other passwords that were saved and it wouldn't let me, so I just changed all the passwords to the one for the account I am looking to push.  I am still not able to push to the origin from my local branch.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

Hi Evan,

• Are you able to perform a git push to the origin from your local branch via the command line?

I have seen this resolved by removing the password file from the operating System.  Take a look at the Communities post titled  How to update HTTP(S) credentials in sourcetree for more information.  The locations you're going to be looking for are as follows:

• Windows: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree
  • OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/SourceTree

Once you remove the password file, restart SourceTree and perform an action that should prompt for the password such as another push, etc.  Let us know if that works for you and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

Branden

Thanks for your help! That worked.

Awesome! I'm glad we could help!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

433 views 0 1
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you