Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is SourceTree changing my files' permissions?

Robert Rollins October 7, 2014

Whenever I perform an action in SourceTree which alters a file in my git repo (e.g. "Discard hunk"), the edited file's permissions change from 664 to 644. This is breaking my system, because other users in the files' group need write permission.

Why is this happening, and how do I stop it? Changing my umask value did not help. I'm using OSX Mountain Lion.

EDIT after a week with no answer:

After further research and system tweaks, I'm still seeing SourceTree treating my files' permissions incorrectly. Every single file it touches gets set to 644, regardless of my umask value. I even followed the official instructions from Apple on how to set your umask for applications, and that didn't work.

Using git from the command-line does respect my umask value, so this is very frustrating.

11 answers

4 votes
swerdick April 14, 2017

another reason source tree is garbo.

how is this still a problem in 2017?

3 votes
Michael Joy May 11, 2018

How do we get someone to look at this? I'm on Windows 10 and it is also happening to me. Back to command line I guess..

tbroniewski January 3, 2019

I have the same on Windows 7

dennisn April 22, 2019

I also have the same on Windows 7. has anyone been able to resolve?

Todd Benham April 22, 2019

I think SmartGit handles this better but it is not free.

dennisn April 22, 2019

thx.. we will try it. 

mikefishtank April 23, 2019

It would be better if they actually fixed this bug. Using a completely different app isn't really a solution is it?

Like tbroniewski likes this
1 vote
Robert Rollins June 19, 2015

Can a dev please take another look at this? My files need to have 664 permissions, and the newest SourceTree is still manually setting them to 644 every time it changes a file.

Todd Benham November 13, 2018

I am having a similar effect except that a file that was 755 was committed as 644. I had to run this to fix it:

git update-index --chmod=+x path/to/file
1 vote
Kevin Rossi February 25, 2015

I am having the same issue. Files and folders in the /objects dir are being created with the wrong permissions. My remote is a bare repo with the following config file: [core] repositoryformatversion = 0 filemode = true bare = true sharedRepository = true This does behavior not occur when using Git from the command line. My team is getting access errors when they pull after my push with SourceTree. This is preventing me from using Sourcetree because it is interfering with the rest of the team using command line and Eclipse. I prefer Sourcetree due to the UI. Permissions from command line and Eclipse: drwxrwsr-x 2 rossi11 hadoop 96 Feb 17 16:11 3b Permissions from Sourcetree: drwxrwx--- 2 rossi11 hadoop 51 Feb 25 11:40 3d Is there a solution for this?

0 votes
mikefishtank November 14, 2018

For me, SourceTree is completely unusable because of this ridiculous bug. Shame really as its a good app otherwise :( 

0 votes
Todd Benham November 13, 2018

Was a bug report ever submitted for this?

Michael Joy November 13, 2018

not that i know of. I went back to doing everything in terminal, works just as fine without having to rely on other people's software

0 votes
mikefishtank December 1, 2017

This is still an issue!!!!

0 votes
Mike Garlick November 23, 2016

I am also having this problem. Its driving me crazy!

0 votes
Victorio Chavarria November 16, 2015

I am also having this problem. OS X El Capitan, newest version of SourceTree.

0 votes
Sven Nickel October 26, 2015

Still no answer regarding this topic :-(?

0 votes
Robert Rollins October 2, 2015

This is another plea to the developers to at least acknowledge this issue, because it's been screwing me over multiple times a day in the past few weeks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events