Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is 1.8.x so broken

Ben Oster June 24, 2016

I upgraded to 1.8.3 from 1.7.0.32509 and the functionality has taken a sharp nosedive.

Aside from the aesthetic changes which I find to be much less usable since everything is flat and less distinct (which is subjective), there are many objectively broken things in this "upgrade"

• You can not commit changes. After selecting my files to commit, I click the comment box at the bottom and "commit" is disabled. No matter what I type, or what I select, it typically stays disabled. I have to choose "commit options", then any option, then cancel, then commit becomes enabled and I can commit.

• The files in the view are constantly reordering themselves regardless of what sorting options I choose. I can not select anything over a couple of files without the whole list rearranging itself.

• Sourcetree keeps telling me my branch is out of date, even though I'm the only one working on it. I commit a change, then try to push it, and it tells me I need to pull... even though I know for a fact I'm the last one to push anything. OK... so I pull then sourcetree tells me I have conflicts. What?! Nothing has been comitted or pushed since my last push. There should be nothing to conflict with, let alone need to pull in the first place.

• Operations seem to take longer, but I can not 100% by how much.

I had to resort to using this page to find an older version to downgrade to:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/290155

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2016

Sounds like there is something strange going on with your machine/repo/installation. When Atlassian first released 1.8, there were a lot of serious issues (even besides the UI changes that got a lot of hate), but the serious bugs have been mostly addressed by now. I haven't heard anyone else complain about the issues you're experiencing, and I haven't experienced any of that myself.

I would be curious what conflicts SourceTree/Git think exist after you've done one of those pulls that shouldn't have been necessary.

What version of Git are you running? Are you using System or Embedded Git?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events