Why is 1.8.x so broken

I upgraded to 1.8.3 from 1.7.0.32509 and the functionality has taken a sharp nosedive.

Aside from the aesthetic changes which I find to be much less usable since everything is flat and less distinct (which is subjective), there are many objectively broken things in this "upgrade"

• You can not commit changes. After selecting my files to commit, I click the comment box at the bottom and "commit" is disabled. No matter what I type, or what I select, it typically stays disabled. I have to choose "commit options", then any option, then cancel, then commit becomes enabled and I can commit.

• The files in the view are constantly reordering themselves regardless of what sorting options I choose. I can not select anything over a couple of files without the whole list rearranging itself.

• Sourcetree keeps telling me my branch is out of date, even though I'm the only one working on it. I commit a change, then try to push it, and it tells me I need to pull... even though I know for a fact I'm the last one to push anything. OK... so I pull then sourcetree tells me I have conflicts. What?! Nothing has been comitted or pushed since my last push. There should be nothing to conflict with, let alone need to pull in the first place.

• Operations seem to take longer, but I can not 100% by how much.

I had to resort to using this page to find an older version to downgrade to:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/290155

1 answer

Sounds like there is something strange going on with your machine/repo/installation. When Atlassian first released 1.8, there were a lot of serious issues (even besides the UI changes that got a lot of hate), but the serious bugs have been mostly addressed by now. I haven't heard anyone else complain about the issues you're experiencing, and I haven't experienced any of that myself.

I would be curious what conflicts SourceTree/Git think exist after you've done one of those pulls that shouldn't have been necessary.

What version of Git are you running? Are you using System or Embedded Git?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

262 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot