Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does hg.exe download so much data when SourceTree is running?

Mike G June 23, 2016

Last month my boss asked me to find out why we went over our monthly data cap for our network connection. I traced it back to SourceTree on my computer. When I leave it running (which used to be 24/7), hg.exe downloads over 300MB every hour.

I use the built in mercurial. I have 20 repositories connected (mostly Bitbucket).

Is this an expected behaviour? A bug? A configuration problem on my part?

Edit (sorry, for some reason the comment window won't open):

Automatic check is the default 10 minutes. The traffic graph seemed to show constant usage rather than spikes every 10 minutes though...

Is there a way to log the commands sent to hg.exe?

I've disabled the automatic check and it seems to have stopped the excessive usage. I still don't understand why it would download so much data just checking for repository changes (especially when my repositories almost never change).

2 answers

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2016

Do you have SourceTree configured to automatically check remotes for updates (runs a fetch)? It's on by default for every 5 or every 10 minutes. 300MB seems excessive, but that might be the trigger.

Mike G June 23, 2016

I've updated my question with a reply (the comment window wouldn't open for me a few minutes ago).

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2016

You can configure sourcetree to display the full output of commands that you request in a dialog, but I don't think the auto-fetch commands are included in that.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events