Why does SourceTree phone home

mattneub July 9, 2013

When I launch SourceTree, it connects to www.sourcetreeapp.com. Why does it do that? I have "Automatically check for updates" unchecked in my preferences.

As with my previous question, this unwanted connection is a source of slowness during launch. I just want to get stuff done locally; I don't need any network activity. Thx!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2013

SourceTree does this only once a day rather than every launch. It's for 2 reasons: to check for urgent news (we've only had to use that once) and secondly it lets Atlassian know anonymously that SourceTree is being used. As you know Atlassian gives SourceTree away for free and knowing that people are using it regularly is what keeps resources assigned to the project to make it better.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2013

FWIW it's not really taking any resources, nothing in the UI waits for it and it would only do something if there was urgent news to display.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events