Why do I get this error when entering my correct password when prompted to do so when pushing

Jonas Schuler January 17, 2018

2018-01-17 12:01:45.244 git-credential-sourcetree[28574:1187908] Error generating password due to missing uuid. Please report this to Atlassian.

2018-01-17 12:01:45.246 git-credential-sourcetree[28574:1187909] Something went wrong. one or more parameters required to renew token is nil.

2018-01-17 12:01:52.841 git-credential-sourcetree[28574:1187908] Error generating password due to missing uuid. Please report this to Atlassian.

2018-01-17 12:01:52.841 git-credential-sourcetree[28574:1187908] Password encryption failed - key to to encrypt password is unavailable (nil)

remote: Invalid username or password. If you log in via a third party service you must ensure you have an account password set in your account profile.

This error is given when I attempt to push to master on the SourceTree GUI after asked for my password.

I enter the guaranteed correct password and then get this error and do not push to master as desired. 

I originally made my account with Google sign-in, then added a password to my account since the error told me to do so.

I am on MacOS and this error did not happen to me before the newest update.

Using the terminal allows me to push, but I don't use SourceTree for the terminal.

25 answers

2 votes
Manju
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2018

Can you confirm the macOS version you are running on?

I'd recommend you to delete the com.torusknot.SourceTreeNotMAS.plist located at ~/Library/Preferences/ and launch the app again. This should generate the missing UUID and allow all actions thereafter. 

Thanks!

Jonas Schuler January 19, 2018

High Sierra 10.13.2

Thank ya sir.

Steven January 29, 2018

After upgrading to 2.7 also on OS 10.13.2 I'm getting the following error:

Pushing to https://xxx@bitbucket.org/xxx.git
2018-01-29 13:44:47.896 git-credential-sourcetree[xxx:xxx Something went wrong. one or more parameters required to renew token is nil.
2018-01-29 13:44:54.825 git-credential-sourcetree[xxx:xxx Password encryption failed - key to to encrypt password is unavailable (nil)
remote: Invalid username or password. If you log in via a third party service you must ensure you have an account password set in your account profile.
fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://xxx@bitbucket.org/xxx.git/' 

Deleting the suggested files didn't work.

Can you help?

Nui January 29, 2018

I found other solution by 

- going to KeyChain app on your Mac

- click the lock icon and then unlock on the top-left of panel

Then try login again. 

If it still doesn't work, combine with deleting solution and try again.

That's work for me. Hope it helps.

Like # people like this
Steven January 29, 2018

Thanks Nui Rattapon, but that didn't work. However, I'm a step towards identifying the problem: SourceTree isn't saving the password in Keychain even though the option is checked in the password modal.

Looks like downgrading is the only solution at the moment:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/I-can-no-longer-push-after-updating-Mac-to-sourctree-v-2-7/qaq-p/704950

Manju
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2018

We've had some report of this and got a fix in the latest beta. Would you mind trying that and share your feedback?

You can download the latest beta build here

https://bitbucket.org/atlassianlabs/sourcetree-betas/downloads/OSX_Beta_Latest.zip

It is safer to remove any keychain items that might be present for the account before trying the new build. This is just to ensure that you save the right credentials again and the old ones that may cause any issue are removed. 

Thanks!

Manju
Atlassian Team
January 29, 2018

And yes, please ensure you remove other passwords saved by sourcetree before to avoid conflicts/unsuccessful logins at launch. 

Steven January 30, 2018

Sorry, Beta gave the following error:

Pushing to https://xxx@bitbucket.org/xxx/xxx.git

2018-01-30 12:21:52.466 git-credential-sourcetree[xxx:xxx] Error generating password due to missing uuid. Please report this to Atlassian.

2018-01-30 12:21:52.474 git-credential-sourcetree[xxx:xxx] Something went wrong. one or more parameters required to renew token is nil.

2018-01-30 12:21:58.680 git-credential-sourcetree[xxx:xxx] Error generating password due to missing uuid. Please report this to Atlassian.

2018-01-30 12:21:58.681 git-credential-sourcetree[xxx:xxx] Password encryption failed - key to to encrypt password is unavailable (nil)

fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://xxx@bitbucket.org/xxx/xxx.git/'

and I don't see any passwords saved in keychain 

Steven January 30, 2018

And now the version I downgraded to - 2.6.3 - crashes and is unusable :(

Edit: Deleting the beta solved this.

Irfan Khatik February 10, 2018

Facing issue with changing password, deleted Sourcetree application password from keychain access. SourceTree prompt for new password and check for store in keychain also set. Still getting same error.
As per comments here, I tried with Beta version also, deleted password from keychain to avoid any conflict, before using Beta version.
Continue showing same error "token is nil" appearing each time yesterday. So I installed Sourcetree application(not Beta) again.

Today I start work, its working fine. I think machine restart is required. )

Fowler February 14, 2018

Not sure why this is marked as an accepted answer. None of the solutions (other than a downgrade) seem to work. Luckly the command line git works fine pushing and pulling to bitbucket. Seems like I'll have to abandon SourceTree for a bit

Deleted user February 14, 2018

The Beta fix doesn't work. I'm using Bitbucket Server and I tried every fix you've suggested. The bug is in SourceTree, not everywhere else.

Protocol: HTTPS. Not SSH. There's no SSH port for my company's server.

Schroef February 14, 2018

Well i had issues again after it was working with the beta. This time some different method. But this has been working now for couple days.

See this link

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
February 14, 2018

Hi @Fowler and @[deleted], I've contacted our developers regarding your concerns and they informed me that they've already fixed part of the issue, which will be out in the next release. The rest is being currently investigated and will be fixed soon.

Stay tuned!

Ana

Deleted user February 18, 2018

The Beta does not solve the problem, I do not hope that the developers are hoping for that.

vcoia February 19, 2018

Beta also does not work for me. Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3. Deleting source tree and reverting to 2.6.3 works for me.

Find the archives here: https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/download-archives

anortfwolf March 15, 2018

reverting to 2.6.3 works for me .  thanks.

Mark Reyes March 31, 2018

Likewise with solution mentioned above. Sourcetree 2.6.3 is the way to go if on OSX 10.13.3.

1 vote
Fowler March 23, 2018

Best solution seems to be using basic auth with an `app password` from bitbucket. But, YMMV.

Unless I'm mistaken, this issue relates to the following two SRCTREE issues:

@Manju - can you share any updates? This community discussion has gotten out of hand without any real answers or updates. I think we have a lot of us in this thread are heavy JIRA users, and are commenting in this community post like we would a JIRA issue - trying to help. However, Community is a very different product and we would really benefit from some communication - even if the prognosis is bleak

Also, the latest beta `2.7.2 (161)` managed to break basic auth, which was working well for me, as well as the primary issue here, OAuth.

Anyone else on this thread - don't upgrade to the latest beta when prompted.

Also - Everyone, remember that this IS NOT a JIRA issue. Use the upvote button to promote useful and helpful posts. Reporting that you "have the same issue" and that you're running "the latest OS X" is just as bad as a "+1" in GitHub.

Manju
Atlassian Team
March 26, 2018

For the broken auth in the latest beta, we have a fix and will be out in a few hours from now. Sincere apologies for this hiccup.

As far as the original issue reported here of "missing uuid" error goes, there have been a few builds sent out to few users with a fix and we are waiting to hear back from them. We will however, include these changes in the next beta and roll out to every one soon. 

Thanks,
Manjunath 
Sourcetree Mac Developer

jkyburz March 26, 2018

Where can I download this beta build? I'm trying to get a new Mac running, and can't complete a pull request because of Auth issues.

Sunny Sunshine April 9, 2018

Hi you direct me the latest beta build as the homepage and archives  still showing 2.7.1 as latest

I can help to test if it works too as I can't check-in my code for sometime now after updating

Running: MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Mac Book Pro

Manju
Atlassian Team
April 11, 2018
Sunny Sunshine April 11, 2018

Sorry to inform you latest Beta 2.7.2 (161) doesn't work and I still have the same issue. I rolled back to 2.6.3 (134) which in which can login now .

Schroef April 12, 2018

an, after all this time its still broken? Perhaps do some better in house checking before turning it beta ;)

1 vote
Marcel Bradea March 8, 2018

What's the ETA on a fix for this?

Our entire dev team has switched to Gitkraken over the last few weeks while dealing with this (I'm the last one holding out).

This is a P1 - ships are on fire. How is this not resolved yet?

Deleted user March 8, 2018

Agreed. @Manju, what is Atlassian's intent here?

1 vote
Nui January 24, 2018

I facing the same problem here and deleting the com.torusknot.SourceTreeNotMAS.plist still doesn't work. Any other solution?

Manju
Atlassian Team
January 29, 2018

We've had some report of this and got a fix in the latest beta. Would you mind trying that and share your feedback?

You can download the latest beta build here

https://bitbucket.org/atlassianlabs/sourcetree-betas/downloads/OSX_Beta_Latest.zip

It is safer to remove any keychain items that might be present for the account before trying the new build. This is just to ensure that you save the right credentials again and the old ones that may cause any issue are removed. 

Thanks!

0 votes
Danny Antivalidis April 27, 2020

This Worked on a Macbook air... 
Deleted the prefs etc... 
then followed this, 

Nui Jan 29, 2018

I found other solution by 

- going to KeyChain app on your Mac

- click the lock icon and then unlock on the top-left of panel

Then try login again. 

If it still doesn't work, combine with deleting solution and try again.

THANK U SO MUCH NUI! 
Spent like all day on this, btw I left the LOCK OPEN! not sure if thats ok? 

0 votes
Manju
Atlassian Team
April 13, 2018

Hi all,

Sincere apologies for the issues you have been facing with regards to authentication on Sourcetree Mac over the last few months. Please read the response from the product manager of Sourcetree here - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/Authenticating-with-Bitbucket-not-possible/qaq-p/502460#M25871

Also, I have submitted an issue on JIRA - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-5600 and have been working on getting it fixed. We will hopefully have a fully functional build very soon.

Thanks,
Manjunath
Sourcetree Mac Developer

Schroef April 30, 2018

I seemed to have issues again and my prior fix suddenly didnt work no more. So i tried updating as i saw authoring was fixed....

But again issues not able to login

'

Pushing to git@github.com:schroef/TheaForBlender.git

git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).

fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights

and the repository exists.

Pushing to git@github.com:schroef/TheaForBlender.git

git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).

fatal: Could not read from remote repository.'

Why cant there be proper updates, his is months of pushing out broken updates. Why is that? 

Schroef April 30, 2018

It seemed somehow my local SSH key was gone or not working no more. So i redid the steps according to this post. After that it is working, but a user should have todo all if these guru steps.

https://gist.github.com/adamjohnson/5682757#gistcomment-1851839

0 votes
Scott Yelich April 12, 2018

I didn't read all the comments -- if this has already been said, I apologize for the duplication.

MY assumption of what's going on here is that somehow the sourcetree internal git is fubared in some way.  Let's say internal is 2.15.1 -- but my system one is 2.15.1.  Somehow, they are not behaving the same with regards to at least authentication.

Again, this is an assumption here, and I will test with the next set of sourcetree updates, but I think when an update or a certain level of update for sourcetree comes out -- the setting for which git to use gets cleared or (re)set to internal git.  THIS CAUSES ME ALL KINDS OF GRIEF.

In the comments here, there are posts that say that the command line git works.  This is and always has been the case for me.  I "resolve" the sourcetree shenanigans by going to the preferences for git and selecting to use the system git (even if it's the same version).

This has resolved the issue of sourcetree repeatedly asking me for my password and having the input of a valid password not working.   I did not erase passwords in keychain, unlock keychain, save to keychain, use command line once, uninstall or re-install sourcetree -- I just changed the git to command line git (and restarted sourcetree just because).

YMMV.  Good luck.

Scott

0 votes
Fowler March 23, 2018
Consolidated w/ separate, more constructive answer. Rant deleted
0 votes
jdoylegap March 23, 2018

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2 here - same issue this morning with new version. 

Kept getting repo denied messages, then the endless Keychain password requests. Noticed some errors coming back including "too many login attempts", although could still access the repo via web and also in command line.

Reverting to 2.6.3 (134) solved it.

0 votes
radjivC March 21, 2018

Guys, what is the update, I have endless popup password too, I have tried to use the beta the older version. Please keep us updated. Its not fun :(

0 votes
João Füzessy March 20, 2018

Same issue in MacOS Sierra 10.12.6. Tried HTTPS and SSH and the situation persists.

0 votes
Kevin Dickinson March 19, 2018

Same issue here. 2.7.1(159), MacOS 10.13.3.

0 votes
Sunny Sunshine March 15, 2018

I have the same issue for MacOS Mac Book Pro High Sierra 10.13.3

0 votes
Radu Bogdan March 15, 2018

Same situation here - Version 2.7.1(159), macOS High Sierra 10.13

0 votes
stuartleads2trade March 9, 2018

Add another to list list of users with the same problem.

0 votes
rapapa March 6, 2018

I got the same issue. Endless login popup. T_T (Version 2.7.1, Mac High Sierra)

0 votes
Deleted user February 25, 2018

I had this issue before, and it is still not completely solved. However I discovered a workaround. For me the clue is not to have Sourcetree clone the repository, but do it manually.

Steps:

- Remove Sourcetree completely from your local disk (incl the 2 data folders)

- Remove the GIT hub folders from your machine.

- Change in the Keystore your login password to something else.

- Reboot your system twice (2x)

- Now you can install Sourcetree again, but do not clone from your repository!!!

- Open a terminal and create your new (!) repository folder

- In the terminal move to this folder and clone the repository.

Command: git clone <---repository-> .

(Note the dot at the end!)

- Open finder

- Go to the parent of the repository folder

- Drag/drop the folder of your computer-repository into Sourcetree

- Reboot your computer again

This last step was needed for me to be able to perform PUSH. 

(For now it works for me)

0 votes
Rebecca Markowitz February 20, 2018

I cleared any Sourcetree related passwords in Keychain, Revoked the Oauth in my Bitbucket account, used the beta version in this thread and now thank goodness it's not asking for my password over and over anymore. 

0 votes
Thomas Nelson February 20, 2018

I am having similar issue with version 2.7.1 (159) on MacOS 10.12.6.

I have two different BitBucket Servers to which I am connecting. The first one is BitBucket Server version 4.7.1 which I connect to via HTTPS protocol (actually the url is just http://foo.bar:7990). The second one is BitBucket Server version 5.7.1 which I connect to via HTTPS protocol (and the url for this one is actually https://baz.bar:8443). 

I have tried using the Beta version 2.7.1 (155) and the issue still persisted. I have deleted all passwords from KeyChain Access with no success. I also tried completely uninstalling the application and deleting both ~/Library/Application Support/SourceTree and ~/Library/Preferences/com.torusknot.SourceTree* and then reinstalling again with no success. 

I also tried reverting to 2.6.3 (134) and that seems to partially solved the issue. I now no longer get the error when working with server version 4.7.1 and I can see the password for that in KeyChain Access. However with server version 5.7.1 I don't see the password in KeyChain Access and every time I interact with that server I have to enter the password twice before this succeeds. 

What is the best way to report this issue to Atlassian? I am not sure if it is helpful or not to post the a question that has been marked as solved which it seems like many users are still having issues with.

Manju
Atlassian Team
February 20, 2018

Hi @Thomas Nelson,

I hope "foo" and "baz" aren't the same in the example above. Also, are the usernames same?

You can file a ticket on https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/SRCTREE/

"foo" and "baz" are not the same servers but my username and credentials are the same on foo and baz.

Manju
Atlassian Team
February 20, 2018

Remove the account that isn't saving your password and try adding again. If the password gets added to keychain, I'm sure it will work. However, there are cases where either due to a permission issue or an old duplicate keychain item with the same name, Sourcetree cannot save your password to keychain. Re-adding account helps most of the time and restarting the mac fixes permission issues most of the time. 

I tried removing the account and adding it again. No luck. I also tried restarting but still no luck. The password for baz is not appearing in Keychain and every interaction requires me to enter my credentials twice before it works. 

I have also filed a bug in Jira to track this issue.

Schroef February 20, 2018

try this link, i have now a working beta version

Deleted user February 21, 2018

I suppose that's good for SSH users. HTTPS users are still out of luck.

Thomas Nelson February 21, 2018

@Schroef Looks like that link only helps if you are using SSH. Hopefully that will be helpful to other users that are using SSH. Unfortunately the servers I am connecting to use HTTPS and not SSH. If you run across a solution that works for HTTPS please let us know. Thanks!

Schroef February 21, 2018

You can easily switch to ssh, have you tried following those steps?

Deleted user February 21, 2018

It's not whether I personally can easily switch. The situation is, only HTTPS is offered on the servers we are accessing.

0 votes
Schroef January 31, 2018

Im new to this forum, tried adding a second note here and keeps beeing deleted some how???

Found a stack exchange post.  using this worked for me using ssh, using the beta version

ssh://git@github.com/schroef/TheaForBlender.git

Seems like the input is wrong when the app is used and account is setup?

0 votes
Schroef January 31, 2018

Found this in a stack exchange post.  

using this worked for me using ssh, using the beta version

0 votes
Schroef January 31, 2018

Found this in a stack exchange post. https://stackoverflow.com/posts/30552441/revisions

using this worked for me using ssh, using the beta version

Seems like the input is wrong when the app is used and account is setup?

0 votes
Schroef January 31, 2018

the beta doesnt work for me neither on 10.13.1 

Tried deleting the account in the beta app, deleted keychain item, deleted local repo. 

SIgned in using Oauth using SSH, it first show icon avator so its connected. Then imported remote git, tried some update and the pushing status is infinite. Than i cancel that go back to account settings and see the missing avatar icon again, so again back to square 1.

Are these beta apps properly tested???

Schroef January 31, 2018

Im new to this forum, tried adding a second note here and keeps beeing deleted some how???

Found a stack exchange post.  using this worked for me using ssh, using the beta version

Manju
Atlassian Team
February 1, 2018

For all those using ssh, please check if the ssh-agent has your keys loaded. If not, please add them to the agent. 

Run below commands in terminal to do so,

To check if keys are loaded:

ssh-add -l

To add keys to agent:

ssh-add <path_to_key>

more like,

ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa

Key in the passphrase used while generating the ssh key and you should be good to go. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 1, 2018

@Schroef I'm sorry your posts kept disappearing -- they were being caught by our spam filter. You should see them again -- let me know if any duplicates need to be deleted.

Also nice Dutch name! :) 

Schroef February 1, 2018

Hahaha really, my name is to difficult for most Dutch, lets stand for foreigners ;)

Thanks for helping, The post below this one can be deleted.

Schroef February 1, 2018

@Manju Well do input those command from the desktop app. When i tried 

ssh-add -l

in Terminal root i got

The agent has no identities.

Why should there be a ssh folder in the root, isnt it a connection type? 

0 votes
Carl Lister January 31, 2018

I was having a similar issue.

A temporary fix worked for me, as follows:

Revoking access via bitbucket (settings -> Oauth) and then changing login credentials to basic https instead of Oauth fixed the problem for me.

Not ideal but it's allowed me to use git again.

0 votes
Deleted user January 31, 2018

I'm having the same problem. The solution above, including the BETA version did not solve the problem for me.

This occurred first when I (for another customer) added shh. Maybe that points someone in the right direction?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events