Why can't sourcetree recognize a git repo from a child directory

jeff June 24, 2016

I've noticed that if i open SourceTree from below the root git working directory that SourceTree will not recognize that it has an existing bookmark for the repo and offer to create a new local repository. Is my SourceTree misconfigured or is it only able to be launched against the root of the repo? Or maybe there's something with the alias I'm using?

Steps (OSX)

1. Open Terminal
  2. Create an alias like this

alias st='open -a /Applications/SourceTree.app/Contents/MacOS/SourceTree'

3. Navigate into the root of a git repo that has at least one folder
  4. Run 'st' and verify there is an existing bookmark and/or create a new one.
  5. Return back to the terminal session
  6. Navigate just one level deep into the repo
  7. Run 'st' and you're prompted to create  new bookmark
  8. "cringe"

Expected behavior:

• I expect that SourceTree can figure out that I'm in a Git Repo since the actual git CLI tools can do that.. SourceTree should show me the Git Repo...

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2016

Sounds like unusual SourceTree usage to me, but I can't think of any reason you shouldn't be able to use it that way. My guess is nobody's ever noticed that particular bug.

If you file a bug report at jira.atlassian.com, I imagine it could be addressed in the next version or two (I'm just a user though, so don't take that as any sort of commitment).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events