Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I download SourceTree?

Shane Aldrich October 6, 2012

I've been trying for the last two days to download SourceTree. Each time I'm presented with a dialogue box that asks for username and password. I enter my Atlassian information and the box appears again. I want to try this out with bitbucket for a small project I'm working on. This is extremely frustrating.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
rverschoor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2012

Not sure what's happening here.
I just verified that downloading from a non-Atlassian employee's machine also works fine, without asking for a username/password.

Can you try downloading with another browser?
Also try downloading from the direct link http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/SourceTree_1.5.4.dmg

If that doesn't help, you can go to https://transfer.atlassian.com
Login with username=stree154 and password=hB3dIopN.
For a limited time the download will be available there.

Shane Aldrich October 7, 2012

It worked in Safari. I tried the direct download in Chrome with the same result. Maybe the download expired on the last link, used the login information you provided and it said unable to authenticate user. But, I've got it now. Thanks! (Not sure why it's not working in Chrome though)

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2012

I've had this reported once before. What I've spotted is that in the screenshot, you're connecting to port 443, ie HTTPS instead of HTTP. downloads.atlassian.com definitely requires a login if you try to use the HTTPS address but all our links from the website, and Rene's direct link above, point to HTTP.

The only explanation is that something your end is forcing your browser to request HTTPS instead of accepting the HTTP link. Maybe you have a proxy setup or some other security set up in Chrome which is causing this?

OK. Disabling HTTPS everywhere for Atlassian did the trick. I imagine that this would cause problems in other browsers as well. Thanks again for your help!

That would explain it. I use HTTPS everywhere. I'm going to try to disable it and try again for testing purposes. I'll report back in a few.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2012

Great, I've reported this to our sysadmin team as a potential source of confusion to see if we can prevent it in future for people who use these kinds of extensions.

0 votes
Philip Scacchetti February 23, 2017

I get an error each time I try, the download is looking for a file to extract that is missing

0 votes
Philip Scacchetti February 23, 2017

There seems to be a problem with SourceTreeSetup-1.10.20.1.exe

0 votes
rverschoor
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2012

Where are you trying to download SourceTree from?
I've just downloaded it from http://sourcetreeapp.com/download/.
It didn't ask for any user details, and downloaded just fine.

Just tried it. Still have the same issue. I'm using Google Chrome. Here is a screenshot.

Is there another way for me to get it? I'd like to use it tonight. I have my day job starting tomorrow.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events