Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are lightweight tags not recommended?

elmimmo May 6, 2014

The dialog to create a tag has, in the Advanced Options section, the option for the tag to be of the lightweight sort, but then it adds that it is "not recommended".

Is it not because SourceTree cannot reliably create them or is SourceTree being patronizing here? If the later, I do not consider that a proper place to suggest subjective good practices. And besides, why would they not be?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2014

It is generally accepted that it is best practice to avoid lightweight tags. I don't think SourceTree is being patronizing, I certainly didn't know the difference before you asked the question, I just took SourceTree at its word, and I think many other users will behave the same.

This StackOverflow answer provides a good explanation of why annotated tags should always be used, even if the tagger doesn't have a comment to include.

elmimmo May 6, 2014

Thanks for the link and answers.

I still think the dialog is not a place to provide advice on good practices (however sound; otherwise, why only in that dialog?), and that the message is confusing as I originally thought that I had rather not add that sort using SourceTree.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events