Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I getting "This is not a valid source path / url"

Brent Bobek September 12, 2017

I know this question has come up, I have been reading threads for two days now, most of which pertain to remote repositories. 

I have inherited a SourceTree + Git setup from the previous support group.

• Source code located on  inhouse Linux Server
  • SourceTree installed on inhouse Windows Server 2012
  • SourceTree: I can see two repositories (I think they are copies).
  • LinuxServer: I searched for .git folders and found 6 of them
    • 4 of them are located in base folders for 4 instances of Source Code.
    • 2 of them seem to be Clones of 2 of the above.
  • SourceTree: If I try to Clone a repository and enter the path to any of the four source instances (including the 2 that seem to have clones already), I get the error message "This is not a valid source path / url"
  • SourceTree: If I try to Clone a repository and enter the path to the "clones", it recognizes them as GIT.  
  • LinuxServer: git status from the 4 Source Code folders returned a list of "Untracked files".
  • LinuxServer: git init from 1 of the Source Code folders returned "reinitialized existing Git repository in /foldername/.git
  • Linux Server git status from same Source Code Folder returned a large list of files in Changes to be committed, as well as the list of untracked files.
  • SourceTree: tried to clone repository that I ran git init from, receive same error: "This is not a valid source path / url"

Any help would be appreciated

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brent Bobek September 13, 2017

What I ended up doing was creating the clone from the Linux Host. Navigated to desired location and ran 
'git clone /absolutepath/existing_repo'

This allowed me to add existing repo (the clone I just made) to Source Tree without the error. (I did try adding the existing repo before creating a copy, and got the error)

10 votes
Sashi Bala April 6, 2018

Had similar issue on version 2.4.8. I installed git on the machine and it worked after that. You could do this by going to Source Tree --> Tools --> Options --> Git -->Use Embedded git (If you haven't installed git on your machine) or Use System Git (If you have installed git on your machine.)

akileswar03 November 29, 2021

Can't believe such a simple solution works perfectly. Had to go through this issue for months. 

JOHANN STRAUSS LEAL March 2, 2022

Great! Worked fine!

Leonardo Severo April 14, 2022

This one worked fine for me. Thanks!

Leon Valderrama June 21, 2022

It works great for me. Thank you very much for sharing!

kasunkp October 22, 2022

Thanks, it worked perfectly.

1 vote
Mark Bidar March 30, 2021

Thanks for the answer, just wasted two hours on this. :(

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events