Which is 'mine' and which is 'theirs' with conflicts when finishing release using Sourcetree git flow?

Nathaniel Wales June 19, 2015

I'm using git flow and I finished a release and I have a merge conflict. I'm having a very hard time wrapping my head around which file is 'their's' and which is 'mine'. Ultimately what I want to know is which version of the file is from the 'develop' branch and which is from the 'release' branch.

3 answers

2 votes
JM October 20, 2017

"Mine" and "theirs" is fundamentally confusing. What if you're merging two branches that you didn't even work on? Then neither is yours. Or what if you're rebasing your own branch? Then they're both yours.

Instead, it would be better to identify the actual commit it's coming from. Commit hash would work. Maybe a branch name can be shown in some cases. Regardless, it's a horrible choice of words.

skumancer October 3, 2018

This is what we should have!

Like Mike Patton likes this
2 votes
nscherer June 8, 2016

"Mine" is develop, and "Theirs" is the release (feature, hotfix) branch.  You can tell which is which because if you look at the graph, your working copy is in the develop branch, and the release branch is being merged to it.  So "mine" is develop.  Also it will ask for confirmation and give you the commit id.  Branch names would be much better than "mine" and "theirs" though.

yagni March 14, 2018

Just to clarify, this is the same regardless of whether you're rebasing or merging. The confusing part is that if you're rebasing, you initiate the operation from the release branch, whereas the merge is initiated from develop.

0 votes
sreekumar_menon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2015

This is the most confusing part of sorcetree. Mine and theirs naming are actually confusing and  does the opposite of what it means,according to me.

Picking "Resolve using mine" (changes on my branch that I'm merging into) actually results in SourceTree picking the file AS IS on the source branch (the one i'm merging from). 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events