Where did my staging window go?

I recently updated to 1.2.3 on Windows, and I odn't have a staging window anymore. All I see is one tall panel in the middle that shows my project files and their current state. How do I get my split staging windows back?

@Jeff Yes, I suppose an image would be helpful.... Here you go! So I'm seeing the pane in the center there, but I don't have a staging window.

@timothy Unforunately, I don't have a separator there. None of the staging controls in your image appear for me, either.

6 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Jeff Thomas Atlassian Team Oct 03, 2013

Tools > Options > Git > Tick "Use the staging area"

You're welcome. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, I missed that setting a couple times.

It always amazes me that the simplest solutions are the ones that are easiest to miss.

Thanks, Jeff!

Timothy Chin Community Champion Oct 01, 2013

Have you tried to drag the separator?

Jeff Thomas Atlassian Team Sep 30, 2013

Adam: Could you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing? That might help to figure out what's going on.

Yes, I suppose that would be helpful.... Here you go! So I'm seeing the pane in the center there, but I don't have a staging window.

Is this a Mercurial repository? I was able to recreate the view you're seeing if I open a Mecurial repository. I see your .gitignore, but it looks like Sourcetree detected this as Mecurial.

Merurial doesn't have staging like Git.

The latest version of SourceTree removed the static staging area!

I miss it so much! I sometimes have lots of changed files but only want to commit a few of them, shift clicking then dragging is much faster than ticking boxes! :(

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

709 views 1 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you