Where are my deleted files?

Christian R November 16, 2016

I set up an repository. After an initial commit I noticed an error. So I thought it was the easiest just to delete the whole repository and set it up again one more time... I deleted the repo on bitbucket, then proceeded to delete the local repository in sourcetree. However I (dumb as sh't) thought it would only delete the repository entry in sourcetree and NOT my whole file structure! It's not in the recycle bin! Please don't tell me Sourcetree just deleted days and days of work and I can't revert it! sadsadsadsad

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2016

When you deleted the repository, SourceTree asks whether you want to delete the bookmark or the entire repository. 

image2016-11-16 13:11:4.png

If you clicked "Delete Repositories on Disk", then SourceTree deleted them. I am very confident that it did not use the Recycle Bin. In my experience, most applications bypass the recycle bin if they delete files, so that's fairly typical, even though it may not be optimal.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2016

You might try to download and run a disk recovery tool to see if you can recover your deleted files. A google search for "recover deleted files" is a good starting point for that. The sooner you do so, the more likely you are to succesfully recover your data.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events