Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the purpose of creating a remote git branch from JIRA?

Edward Stembler August 31, 2017

I noticed in JIRA you can create a remote git branch for your BitBucket repository.  I did this, however, I don't fully understand why I would want to do it.

For example, now when I return to my local source code and try to check out the remote branch I get a warning about having a detached head:

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:

git checkout -b <new-branch-name>

So does this mean I'll have troubles committing my changes to the branch and merging to master?

I can also checkout the remote branch under a different local name. JetBrain's IDE had this option.  But here again, I'm not sure if this will cause problems committing and merging.

I'm coming from GitHub where I'm used to just creating my branches on local, committing them, pushing them, and then merging with master on GitHub.com.

What's the benefit to creating the remote branch? What's the workflow?

1 answer

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2017

You generally clone a repo, and work and test code in a local branch before merging it back, either as a release branch or back to master.

Check out this guide: http://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/

Edward Stembler August 31, 2017

Sure, that's the way I've worked with git for the past 7+ years.

I was just wondering what the purpose of creating a remote branch from JIRA is?  It seems like it causes more trouble.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events