Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the remove menu do for unstaged files?

mretondo February 6, 2017

I have a bunch of file with purple icon and question mark in the unstaged area. If I right click I see a Remove command but don't know what that will do. The file names are jiberish. I don't need these files. There just clogging up the unstaged area.

2 answers

0 votes
Mark_Skidmore June 1, 2020

By experimenting with the right-click/Remove action, I noticed if I do this on a file, the file is not only removed from the Staged files pane but also from the underlying directory structure.

0 votes
Manju
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2017

It does exactly what you need in you case i.e., "Deletes the file/files you've selected".

john2525 June 28, 2018

Is there a Sourcetree manual where I can find this kind of info w/o having to ask someone? I see your answer is in quotes. Does that mean you copied it from a document? Is that document available to the public?

I searched for "remove" in your KB and did not find anything there about it.

I am looking for the command line equivalent to "git checkout -- <file>" to discard changes to an unstaged file. I definitely do not want to delete the file.

thanks.

Manju
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2018

"Discard File" would discard all changes from the current file and restore it to prestige state from its previous commit.

You can alternately go to Repository -> Reset menu item and select a bunch of files to discard if you want to do multiple at a time. 

If you want to do this on a branch for all the files modified, go to Repository -> Reset menu Reset All tab and it discards all local changes. 

Our documentation page can be found here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/get-started-with-sourcetree?_ga=2.64886246.835827532.1530148803-1178943601.1520311947

I admit that we do not have everything documented in here given our team size. We are trying to improve documentation over time and in the meanwhile, happy to help you here with any question you might have. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events