Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does "Open a browser and a terminal window from your desktop" mean and how do I do it????

perfesserphil July 18, 2016

10 answers

0 votes
thinsoldier
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2016

When you install Sourcetree in Windows it also installs a unix-like terminal app that will let you run the linux version of git instructions on windows. Click the "Teriminal" button in the toolbar of the Sourcetree window.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2016

If you're using SourceTree, you can launch the Terminal by hitting the Terminal button in SourceTree. This will launch a command window in the appropriate context to run git commands.

0 votes

Thanks for the explanation Nic. That clears up a lot.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2016

The $ usually means a bash prompt, although other shells use it as the prompt too.  Bash is a default shell on  lot of Linux and Unix systems (the Mac uses it as well, and Atlassian are heavy Mac users, so that's probably where it came from).  For Windows, just imagine it's your cmd prompt

Git as an unknown command means that either it's not installed, or it is not installed in the path.  From memory (as I don't have a windows box to hand), try 

echo $PATH

It needs to include whereever you've installed git (although I thought installers included an amendment to the environment in it).  You should be able to put it in the path in the environment settings.

0 votes

I suppose I was thrown off by the $ prompt thinking it was a git command processor or something. Are those instructions for linux? Windows cmd says Git is an unknown command.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2016

I'm not sure there's a lot more we can tell you - you need a terminal session to follow those instructions, so you'll need to open one.  If you're on windows, try start -> cmd

0 votes

For further context, I'm trying to use SourceTree to create/populate a Bitbucket repository with code from a local project that isn't yet under source control.

0 votes
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2016

It probably means exactly what it says - open a browser and visit the site you're working with, while, at the same time, having a terminal window open so you can look at logs (probably - we don't know what you're doing, so we're not quite sure why you've been asked to do this)

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2016

Could you give us some context?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events