What do these terms mean in SourceTree

Nalini Nadupalli November 4, 2016

2016-11-04_20h14_06.png

I have the above workspace. I have no idea what each of these names "Branches", "Remotes" mean. Also under these names there are multiple sub-folders. what do each of those mean? Please explain in simple terms. This is the first time I'm using SourceTree. Thanks a lot!!

SourceTree documentation has practically No desciption for the meaning of these names and what they are used for.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/get-started-with-sourcetree/sidebar-847359144.html

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2016

There isn't a lot of documentation because those are standard terms for Git repositories.

You can't use SourceTree effectively without a basic understanding of how a git repository works. Check out these resources:

In the Git online documentation, read sections 1.1 and 1.3, then chapters 2 and 3.

Don't worry too much about the literal commands - obviously you prefer a GUI. But it is important to understand what the operations are, and how they interact with each other.

SourceTree's interface maps directly to git commands 99% of the time. So when the docs say to run "git commit", try hitting the Commit button. If they say to run "git add *", try right-clicking a file and choosing "Add".

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2016

Atlassian has its own tutorial about version control, if you prefer to try that: https://confluence.atlassian.com/get-started-with-sourcetree/version-control-and-sourcetree-847359072.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events