Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are you doing about the new SourceTree release 1.8.x?

Tim Ahrens March 10, 2016

It was clear from the HUNDREDS of extremely negative comments on SourceTree v1.8.x that the new release was a disaster, yet I have not seen any response as to what Atlassian is doing about it.  I went to the designer's blog and not a peep... What is the plan? What are they rolling back? ARE they rolling back at all?? I noticed there are still updates with version 1.8.x listed in the app, but how will I know when it is safe to get a proper version update??

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2016

Most of the issues are being tracked on separate tickets in jira.atlassian.com. You can search that site for whichever issues you think are most critical. Most of the issue numbers for SRCTREEWIN greater than 4100 or 4200 are for the 1.8 releases. At this point I think they've issued 10+ minor releases that resolve major bugs related to authentication and UI, as well as a variety of uncommon/minor bugs.

As of March 2016, some of the issues have been fixed (alignment, tabs, color of status icons, registration authentication issues), some may be fixed in the future (tree view), some probably won't (toolbar icons).

If you'd prefer to update your question to ask about specific issues, I could update my answer with some links to relevant bug reports.

Git flow was disabled, but should have been re-enabled as of version 1.8.2. Do you have an older 1.8.x installed? https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-4169

The latest version also has colorful branches:

image2016-3-14 12:13:58.png

Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2016

As of today, I work with SrcTreeWin 1.8.11 - its not too buggy with me, so it can be used already. But there still some annoying bugs, so I don't recommend my colleagues to use it. I don't like the new GUI either - but thats a matter of taste and I'll get used to it ...

Tim Ahrens March 14, 2016

Specific issues that are very important to me and my team are as follows:
1. We use GitFlow on our team, and having the GitFlow icon with the most common GitFlow options readily available it important to us. Not only did the new version remove the icon, and bury the options deep inside the some dropdown menus, but they don't allow the customization to turn the feature on/off. I get why you might want to allow teams that do not use GitFlow to turn it off, but why remove it from those of us who use it constantly? Are there plans to put that GitFlow icon back? Or, at least when someone loads an update, will you allow them to select the GitFlow icon feature?

2. I noticed a lot of the color was gone, and tons of people complained about that as well. The colors of the different branches is a huge benefit, even in our small group where we have 6 or 7 different features happening at once. Are there plans to bring that back?

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2016

I believe these are both addressed in the latest 1.8. I've edited my original answer with specifics.

Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2016

@Seth is right:

• GitFlow-Button is available again in newer 1.8.* versions
  • I haven't noticed any loss of colour in graph (different branches have different colors) in newer 1.8.* versions

SourceTree_2016-03-15_07-01-53.png

I'm currently running SourceTree 1.8.11 (cannot say, whether current git flow implementation works correctly, as we don't use gitflow with our current project)

Tim Ahrens March 15, 2016

Thanks!! I downloaded 1.8.2.11 last night and the color and the GitFlow are back!  The color is also back in the diff's (which I had forgotten to ask about, but was the biggest issue for me when I first upgraded, and within an hour downgraded again).  BTW, why is there no reference to ANY of this on the designer's blog?

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2016

Glad to hear that the blockers are resolved.

As for the blog silence, that is a GREAT question.

Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2016

No need to thank me - Atlassian did the "hard work" to bring back previously working features ... wink

Despite the blog silence, they seem to do some real work now: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-338.

That's one of the few places I saw some response recently. Hopefully they learned from the 1.8-Desaster and will implement new feature requests (beside GUI "enhancements") in the future as well. (I'll never give up the hope)

@Tim Ahrens asked: "BTW, why is there no reference to ANY of this on the designer's blog?"

Answer: Because its a designers blog - and designers are obviously not interested in features wink

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events