Very long line of text in source file causing Sourcetree (Win) v2.4.7.0 crash

rotan_hanrahan January 12, 2018

I updated a HTML file and included a data URL (base64 of an image) that resulted in a text line with about 10,000 characters. Nothing wrong with this, and browsers are OK with it, but Sourcetree crashes when this update is present. Maybe a problem with the diff window or some other processing.

The length of a line, no matter how big, should not crash Sourcetree. Maybe put ellipses into the display if the text is too long for the window.

Reproducible: If I open ST before inserting the long line, ST is fine. Paste the long line into the file, then select the diff window in ST and it immediately crashes. After some experiments, I discovered that a line of 9,581 characters was OK, but anything above that crashes ST. So there's an arbitrary limit being exceeded somewhere.

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2018

Hello! Could you reply back with the Bugsplat crash ID so I can further debug? Thanks.

rotan_hanrahan January 16, 2018

A few minutes ago I inserted a random big line of text into one of my source files to generate a fresh BugSplat. The dialog box that pops up doesn't include a "crash ID". So, I put "For Mike Corsaro" at the start of the description, if that'll help you find it.

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2018

Got it -- thanks. Looks like this is part of a known bug that has already been patched in the development branch. The fix should be released in the next week or so. Thanks!

Interestingly, this time the line was way over 20k before the crash happened.

Glad to hear there's a fix for this one. Thanks :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events