Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version control of database schema (SQL DDLs in plain text file)

Pavel Murnikov August 23, 2017

1.  Exported a database schema (only DDL) into to text file (.SQL)

2. initial Source tree commit. 

3. some minor schema changes 

4. exported database schema again

5. *** SourceTree complains "No changes in this file have been detected, or it is a binary file" 

I checked the gitignore_global.txt, it doesn't mention *.sql

Any suggestions what I an doing wrong ?

TIA

Pavel

2 answers

0 votes
Pavel Murnikov September 12, 2017

Increasing Diff Size Limit (Text) in settings alleviated the problem. The dumps were 1Mb+ in size

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2017

Hi Pavel! The extension alone isn't enough for Git to see if it's a text file, and the content might not include enough ascii character to guess it is text file either.

Typically, that happens because the file is being saved as something other than UTF-8. If it's been encoded in UCS-4, UTF-16, or UTF-32 it contains embedded NUL characters when using ASCII characters (and this is not text in the eyes of Git).

With the .gitattributes file you can explicitly specify that a .sql should be a text, not a binary. Just add a .gitattributes to your repository root folder and set the diff attribute to the paths or files. 

For more information you can read Git attributes and Customizing Git-Attributes.

Lastly, there's also a bug in our tracking system, you can follow it at SRCTREEWIN-5485.

Hope that helps!

Ana

Pavel Murnikov August 24, 2017

Ana, thanks

I checked and the file is UTF-8 encoded. Will give .gitattributes a shot and revert shortly.

Regards

PM

Pavel Murnikov August 25, 2017

Still no luck. 

I placed on my Windows box in .git folder of my local repo

a file named "gitattributes" (L:\SourceTree\overload_database_structure\.git\gitattributes)

which contains

*.sql diff

Checking in pg_dump output with

--format=plain --encoding=utf8 --schema-only --compress=0 --dbname=overload  --host=XXXX --port=5432 --username=XXXX

does not produce desired result ( "No changes in this file have been detected, or it is a binary file" )

On the other hand created a .SQL with Notepad++ and it worked

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events