Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version 1.8 / 1.8.1 of SourceTree for Windows is a bug farm - very disappointed!

Ken Stanfield February 18, 2016

This is not so much a question as a general statement that version 1.8 / 1.8.1 of SoureTree for Windows is one of the WORST "upgrades" I've encountered in a piece of production software.

I've already opened a couple of JIRA tickets for issues I've run up against with this new version.

Now, SourceTree is crashing after just clicking a few nodes in the tree or graph. This is really pathetic, guys. It seems like core functionality was totally compromised in this release, and I get the impression that your test suite didn't have sufficient coverage to identify these issues before you released this version to the world.

3 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2016

There's been a LOT of complaints about the recent release (try clicking "questions", then "popular" here to see that 4 of the 5 highest questions are about this)

Atlassian have pulled it too - if you go to "download", you'll end up with 1.7 instead of 1.8 now.

After looking at the laundry list of core feature that no longer work in 1.8.x, I downgraded to 1.7 and order has been restored.

This release should be a cautionary tale for all software vendors anticipating a facelift that's combined with a major back-end refactoring. In general, doing this is a VERY BAD IDEA unless you have rock-solid integration and unit tests.

Clearly, Atlassian did not have sufficient test coverage.

Alexander Kriegisch February 18, 2016

Yeah well, I wanted to downgrade to 1.7.0, but after uninstalling 1.8.1 and reinstalling 1.7.0 ST crashes on every startup. Now I have no ST anymore on Win7. sad

Where can I find the 1.8.1 download so at least I can reinstall a half-broken 1.8.1 instead of a completely non-functional system?

Ken Stanfield February 19, 2016

I had some issues with a bad path reference to git.exe when I downgraded. I couldn't figure out what was happening until a colleague (with fresh eyes) figured out the problem. It seems like I had 2 instances of Git on my box, and SourceTree had a persisted pointer to an older version.

I nuked the older version of git.exe, and then managed to get ST 1.7.0 to point at the newer version of git.exe

Maybe you're experiencing something similar. (Maybe not...YMMV)

jlanam February 19, 2016

Alexander, did you uninstall 1.7 as well or try to run the Repair option in the installer? found that when I went to the control panel to uninstall 1.8, that 1.7 was still listed there. I had to uninstall that as well in order to get a clean install of 1.7. Now everything works again, at least as far as I can tell.

larsgk February 22, 2016

Thanks for the tips - finally managed to "upgrade" from 1.8 to 1.7 ... the UI also looks much better in 1.7.  Was 1.8 just an ugly experiment (UI and core)?

0 votes
Alexander Kriegisch February 19, 2016

Jeff, you describe what happed at my workstation. I solved it half an hour after I had asked the question, but then forgot to write an update here. I am sorry. And thank you for your response. I have successfully downgraded to 1.7.0 and everything works fine again.

0 votes

To see some issues, just start clicking on "Remote" branches in a repository, and note that half the time, the graph window doesn't scroll to the branch. You need to repeatedly click other nodes until eventually (after 3 or 4 click) the select node scrolls into view.

Then, when you click on another branch along the left, SourceTree crashes and burns.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events