Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using sourcetree from windows to open a heroku git repository

Mike Cave July 10, 2013

Hi There

I'm still new to github and heroku and I'm trying to access a heroku git repository from the sourcetree windows client.

I managed to connect to a public github repository just fine, and I have installed heroku toolbelt and authenticated myself successfully, but I can't figure out the format of the url to put in source path/url.

It would come out of this: git@heroku.com:greengrade.git, how do I convert that into a valid url? I have tried many many variants thus far :)

2 answers

0 votes
Trevor Dearham January 31, 2016

Even though I'm using an SSH key, the only way I managed to clone the git repository was to use https://git.heroku.com/project_name.git, which in your case is https://git.heroku.com/greengrade.git. I'm not sure if it made a difference, but I gave up trying to use SourceTree and did the clone initially using the Heroku Toolbelt, but afterward I knew the URL, doing the initial clone through SourceTree also worked.

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

git@heroku.com:greengrade.git should be a valid URL, but since it's an SSH URL then it will be dependent on you having your SSH key configured correctly. I normally use Pageant for this (the SSH agent that holds your keys in PuTTY format) but you can also use OpenSSH too if you want, the settings are in Tools > Options. You can also launch Pageant from the Tools > Launch SSH Menu option in SourceTree, and also generate or import keys using the Tools > Create or Import SSH Keys menu.

FYI when SourceTree says something is an invalid URL you can normally get more information by clicking the 'Details' button. I'm assuming that it's an authentication error right now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events