Using SourceTree with Hg, what's best way to add feature or fix to older release?

ralvy May 23, 2016

I use HgFlow with SourceTree. Say I have closed releases 2.4, 2.5, and 2.6 in this particular tree. Now I want to add a feature or fix to 2.4 that I already added to the later versions. 2.4 is the release that I actually have in production and I want to update that before I later release 2.6.

Using HgFlow, adding a HotFix can only be done to the latest Master Branch, not 2.4.

Using HgFlow, I also cannot add a New Release to 2.4.

Do just add a New Branch (not with HgFlow) to Master Branch 2.4 and go from there? I assume that way I end up with 2 Master Branches that can have tips.

Or, should I add a New Branch (not with HgFlow) to the Develop 2.4 node and go from there?

2 answers

0 votes
ralvy May 23, 2016

This looks more like adding a new Head instead of adding a new Master branch. Is this a way some people use Mercurial to go back and do some work on an older version in Master?

0 votes
ralvy May 23, 2016

The more I play with different paths with this on a test SourceTree repository, it looks like it would be best to checkout Master 2.4 and branch from there without using HgFlow, and when done applying that new feature or fix to the older version, checkout my Develop tip again and start working on the main project again using HgFlow.

This way I end up with 2 Master branches and the usual Develop branch.

Is that reasonable?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events