Use kaleidoscope app for external diff app in source tree

Mehmet Fatih YILDIZ October 28, 2013

I use kaleidoscope app (http://www.kaleidoscopeapp.com) as me diff app but I couldn't make it work with sourcetree.

Sourcetree has predefined external diff app list. Also I don't have any of those tools so the external diff app section is disabled for me. Basically I can't do external diff right now.

Can you help me to set it up or if it's not possible at this time, is there a plan to add it on the roadmap?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ronnie Otts October 29, 2013

Go to SourceTree --> preferences, in your menubar.

Under the "diff" tab, you can select from a list of installed diff tools.

Do you have the command "ksdiff" installed? (if not http://www.kaleidoscopeapp.com/ksdiff2 )
It looks like sourcetree uses this to start kaleidoscope

Mehmet Fatih YILDIZ October 29, 2013

Oh, External Diff section is completely disabled. I checked my kaleidoscope app version and realized that there is a major version released recently. That's probably why it doesn't recognize my older version.

I'll update and check preference tab for this.

1 vote
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2013

Hi Mehmet,

On the 'General' tab of your SourceTree preferences there's a checkbox right at the very top saying "Allow SourceTree to modify your global Mercurial and Git configuration files". If this is disabled then we can't set the diff tool on your behalf which is why that whole section (the external diff section) on the diff tab is tabled. Make sure the checkbox is turned on and it should work.

There are other cases where it may not work, but that's usually the most likely case.

Cheers

Mehmet Fatih YILDIZ October 29, 2013

Yeah this is helpful but when i select Kaleidoscope, it says it's not installed but I'm already using kaleidoscope but the 1.x version. Kaleidoscope guys have 2.x versions but I don't want to upgrade because current version works great for me.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2013

We've got open issues on improving the helpfulness of this as it's a bit basic in that it tells you it won't work. It expects certain utilities on certain paths. You can use the custom setting to do it, too. Go to "SourceTree Help" in the "Help" menu and search for "Preferences: Diff". This help document aids you with the options you can provide when choosing the custom external diff tool.

If you need any more help I can take a deeper look into it if that document isn't of use.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events