Update from SourceTree Version 1.5.8 to 1.6.0 fails on Mac OS

Zteve May 9, 2013

Update offered: download apparently succeeds; extraction also apparently succeeds; but when initating update and relaunch the update fails saying: An error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again later. No diagnostics that I can see.

This fails (hard) for about a week now.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2013

Hi Zteve,

Could you open up your "Console" (cmd+spacebar then type "Console") and see if there's any entries for either "SourceTree" or "SparkleUpdate" in there? The latter is probably what we'd look for specifically. You can either search in the top-right hand search bar or use the tree on the left to select the one in particular. It's probably best to try and the update first, and straight after it fails then have a look on the console as this will have just entered any errors.

This should give us some further clues to what's going wrong as it's quite difficult without a crash report of any kind.

Many thanks in advance

Zteve May 14, 2013

Sorry for not getting back to you. I was so confused by the Atlassian id fuss (I changed my email address and got thoroughly lost in the mess) I couldn't continue the subscriptions or get to the question pages again. But that's another issue.

I'm running on Mac OS 10.8.3 (here and on an iMac) and on the iMac the (automaticly prompted) update was painless. Not so on the MacBook Pro.

I looked in the Console and couldn't find any SourceTree entries (other than some warnings about repos that I moved), but I have manually updated to 1.6.0.1 from the public download pages on the website since, and now the problem doesn't recur.

There is a single line SparkleUpdate.log:

2013-05-13 08:31:58 +0000: ===== SourceTree.app =====

(nothing else) but no entries in the system log corresponding to it. Sorry I cannot reproduce this anymore.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2013

We've had three reports of this and the one of the other individuals who had the same problem also reported 1.6.0.1 fixed the problem when manually upgrading. I'll keep note of this in case there are more reports, 1.6.0.1 is officially the latest anyway. Sorry about the blip!

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

i ran the same update on 10.8.3 w/o any problems

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

What version of Mac OS X?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events