Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstaged files appearing on newly cloned bitbucket repo?

lettie July 9, 2015

Hi New here and fairly new to sourcetree.

I have an issue with cloning a site from bitbucket.

Steps I have taken so far are:

1. Cloned the sit with git via cygwin on to my local machine.
  2. I have been granted access to the repo on bitbucket and used sourcetree to clone the repo.

Everything has come across ok. I have made absolutely no changes to any of the files that have been cloned but I am seeing a large amount of unstaged files in my working copies. As I say this is literally a brand new clone so any ideas why I am seeing unstaged files that I have not changed at all?

2 answers

1 vote
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2015

I've also seen this if the files in question originally contained weird characters in their names that the local OS is having difficulty with - including filenames ending in a period when cloned to Windows or filenames that differ from each other only by case when cloned to Windows or (depending on your system settings) Macs.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2015

Chances are that your OS changed the line endings, and git is not set to ignore them.

https://help.github.com/articles/dealing-with-line-endings/

Another possibility is that file permissions were modified.

If you click on an unstaged file in SourceTree, it should show you the differences, if it can. Make sure you check "Show whitespace changes" in the dropdown above the diff. A permission diff is displayed, but it's hard to notice. Binary files can't be diffed with sourcetree.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events