Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to view file contents in Windows

Anne H September 25, 2015

I'm following along a Lynda.com tutorial that is using SourceTree. The presenter is using the Mac version and I have the Windows version. I am using Windows 10.

The first issue I hit was I couldn't drag and drop the tutorial folder into SourceTree. So, I simply did File | Open and pointed to the folder on my hard drive. The folder only has 1 file to start.

In the Lynda.com tutorial, the Mac version shows the contents of this text file. I don't see it on the lower right pane. The only way I can view this file is by double-clicking the file name from the lower left pane. However, that opens the file in Windows notepad.

I took a screen snap of how it look on the Lynda.com tutorial, but I can't get the image to insert either by dragging or uploading. The server is responding with a generic HTTP error

4 answers

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2015

To clarify, I think what you are talking about is the "diff" view. When you are adding a new file, the diff view will typically show every line as being added. You may have to single click on the file first. I have noticed a minor bug occasionally in Windows where the diff view will be blank. Try adding a second file, and then selecting the second file, then back to the first in SourceTree.

0 votes

I spoke with a friend via Skype and did a screen share. He said I should've been able to drag the folder over and the contents should show. I decided to delete what I had and start over. This time the folder opened and I could see the file contents. I'm not sure what caused the initial hiccough.

0 votes

I did commit the file. In the tutorial, he is able to see the contents before he even staged the file.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2015

It'll be hard to help without the screenshot... Do you have "uncommitted changes" selected in the top pane?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events