Unable to uninstall previous versions (since upgrade to version 2.x)

P_ Mergey May 23, 2017

Since I installed the last version 2.x, I get a popup on start which inform that previous versions or SourceTree are still installed on my system:

When I try to uninstall these entries (using the main default feature of Windows 10), I get this kind of message:

Windows does not find
C:ProgramData\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\{...}\SourceTreeSetup_...

Does anybody have the same issue? How can I clean these previous installations?

3 answers

1 vote
P_ Mergey June 16, 2017

I think that I finally successfully uninstalled the five previous versions whose obsolete traces were still on my system after upgrading to the 2.x version.

However, I have had to fully chronologically reinstall whole these five version, because the "Remove/Repair/Reinstall" feature seems to not work at all. And of course, I have had to uninstall first the last 2.x version I was using.

So, in my case, I finally had to:

1. Uninstall version 2.x
  2. a. Download b. Install c. Uninstall version 1.8.2.2
  3. a. Download b. Install c. Uninstall version 1.8.3
  4. a. Download b. Install c. Uninstall version 1.9.5.0
  5. a. Download b. Install c. Uninstall version 1.9.6.1
  6. a. Download b. Install c. Uninstall version 1.9.6.2
  7. a. Download b. Reinstall the latest version 2.x

Not really a simple trick.

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2017

Hi! I've talked with one of our SourceTree Windows developers and he told me that Windows keeps a copy of the installer on the hard drive and when 'uninstall' is triggered in that dialog, Windows runs the installer with the 'uninstall' flags.

However Windows, or rather 3rd party apps, have a habit of seeing the cached installers as fair game when trying to clear disk space and you end up in that situation where the uninstall fails because it can't find the cached installer.

The best option is to download the original installer which, when run, should detect the old install and offer the Remove/Repair/Reinstall option. You can then choose the 'Remove' option and it should clean up.

You can find the old installers at https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/update/windowsupdates.txt.

Let me know if this helped!

Regards,

Ana

codepm June 6, 2017

Hi Ana,

I have the same issue. I tried to use the old installers (tried 2 of them) but they did not detect the old versions. Is there a way we can manually fix this?

Thanks!

Paul

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2017

Hi! It could be that the uninstall hasn't cleared all the registry settings. You can go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features and make sure the older SourceTree versions are removed, then reboot your system to make sure the uninstall is complete.

That dialog is shown in SourceTree when 2.x runs and it finds registry entries referring to prior versions, if you confirm you have uninstalled those, then you can safely check the 'Don't ask me again' option and you won't be prompted with that message again.

Cheers :)

Ana

P_ Mergey May 23, 2017

I still have the previous versions into the Windows panel, and it's the problem (see image).

It's when I try to uninstall them that I get the message I pasted previously.

I have tried to reboot, but it seems still impossible to uninstall cleanly these past entries.stuninstall.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events