Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to "Reset" multiple files

Tomasz Wilczynski November 8, 2017

One of the features I use most in SourceTree is discarding all my changes.

For that, I have been selecting changed files and pressing "Reset". However, this option is available only if all selected files are already in repository (modified/removed etc). If any selected file is new, then "Reset" is grayed out.

So I have to manually select modified files, press "Reset".. and then select remaining files and press "Remove". This is so annoying, oh my god :( Especially when I have dozens of files and I have to go one by one, it takes forever.

It's easier to create a stash and delete it, but it's such a misuse of stashes. Why on earth there is no option to "Reset" my tree to the state of my repository?

Please tell me you have a solution for this.

2 answers

0 votes
bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2017

Cleaning up that workflow is definitely worth a ticket at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE (macOS) or https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN (Windows) Thanks!

Tomasz Wilczynski November 30, 2017

Hi Brian,

The ticket has been marked duplicate, but there is no reference to to the original issue. I would like to know if this feature is something coming soon? If you could please respond here or on JIRA. Thanks!

Tomasz Wilczynski December 5, 2017

Hey @bgannin, can you please let me know what is going on with this ticket? I can get a reply neither here nor in the JIRA. 

bgannin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2017

Hi @Tomasz Wilczynski,

That ticket is open and there has been no activity since you filed it a few weeks ago. We will review and prioritize when time allows. That's all the update I can provide currently.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 8.57.39 AM.png

Tomasz Wilczynski January 28, 2019

Hi @bgannin

It has been over a year and the problem remains. It is still not easy to "revert all changes" in Sourcetree.

Do you have any plans for cleaning up this workflow?

Thanks!

bgannin
Atlassian Team
January 28, 2019

Hi @Tomasz Wilczynski,

Unfortunately I don't have any updates for you on this. Right now that ticket is low on the backlog. We don't prioritize based on the age of a ticket but on votes which helps our small team gauge the impact of an issue and demand for a given fix. 

Cheers,

Brian Ganninger
Principal Developer, Sourcetree

0 votes
bgannin
Atlassian Team
November 9, 2017

If you select one or more modified files that's already in the repository then you can use the "Reset All" option in the Reset… dialog to discard all changes at once. Any files left after that should be untracked and deleted with a simple select all 😀

Brian Ganninger
Senior Mac Developer, Sourcetree

Tomasz Wilczynski November 10, 2017

Well in most cases I have both "new" and "modified" files to discard. They are not ordered in any way, so I have to go through the list one by one and select only modified ones. If even one "new" file gets selected, then "Reset All" is grayed out.

Keep in mind that when the list is long, then discarding all changes is really tedious when it should be straightforward. Something like cmd-a, right click, discard.

bgannin
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2017

You can use the file list filters to show only modified files or to sort by file status. This would make it much simpler :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events