Unable to install the Source Tree app

I can not install the Source Tree in my Windows 7 PC. but my other colleagues can.

I am wondering if you have any other requirements.

4 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Do you have a Git client installed on your system?

If yes you can choose the second option and point to your GIT installation (like C:\Program Files\Git\bin)

If not, you will need to choose the first option and SourceTree will download it for you

Maybe that is the problem, I will check with my colleague to resolve it. thanks

I think I have installed Git client on my system by having downloaded/installed Visual Studio 2012 Update 2, and downloaded/installed the Visual Studio Tools for Git.

After that, I am able to clone a repository. But I still got the dialog asking me to choose (1) Download an embedded version of GIT (2) Browse to the location of GIT on your system. (3) CHeck again (4) Exit

I am wondering what wrong it is. thanks

Visual Studio's version of Git is stored in its own location, it's not a full copy of Git that SourceTree can use.

Either install a *standard* version of git from http://git-scm.com (which SourceTree can use), or allow SourceTree to download its own embedded version of Git (which is actually a full it install, it's just zipped up and will be isolated from the rest of your system much like the Visual Studio version is).

Hey Alvin,

You need to provide more info. Are you seeing an error or something?

After I run the setup.exe, before the user info registration, the dialog appears and asks me to choose (1) Download an embedded version of GIT (2) Browse to the location of GIT on your system. (3) CHeck again (4) Exit, Do you know what option I should choose?

It works, thanks for all your helps.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

872 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you