Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to detect changes in asmx.vb file in the latest release

Oleg Skopin August 23, 2017

Hi,

I've upgraded SourceTree to the version 2.1.11.0 and noticed that it shows me "No changes in this file have been detected, or it is a binary file" on my asmx.vb files (Visual Basic.Net Web Service).

Why is that? Is anything committing?

Best regards,

Oleg

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2017

Hi Oleg, I can think of 2 reasons for this to be happening: the file is too big or Git is not detecting it as a text file: 

1. Go to Options > Diff and change Size Limit (Text) from the default 1024KB to something larger than the above file size (ie. 10240KB) the diff should show correctly correctly. Is the error message still appearing from you? For this case, we have a Feature request to improve the message shown as it's not a binary nor an unchanged file. You can fnd it at SRCTREEWIN-7627.
  2. Git is not recognising it as a text file. This normally happens because the file is being saved as something other than UTF-8 (UCS-4, UTF-16, or UTF-32) and that is not text in the eyes of Git. To fix this, you can add a .gitattributes file to your repository root folder and explicitly specify that .vb should be text, not binary file. For more information you can read Git attributes and Customizing Git-Attributes. This has also been reported in our tracking system at SRCTREEWIN-5485.

Let us know if this helped you!

Cheers,

Ana

Oleg Skopin August 24, 2017

Thanks Ana! It was a file size that went up to 1030KB.

It would be nice though to see that in the message instead. Shouldn't be too hard to implement?..

Cheers,

Oleg

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2017

I'm glad I could help you, Oleg! Please make sure to vote for the feature request to increase it's popularity. Features are implemented based on our Implementation of new features policy.

Have a nice day :)

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events