Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The sheet shown for git-stage is annoying

Pascal Pfiffner July 4, 2013

I know this is nitpicking, but I would prefer that the sheet that quickly shows and hides when staging a file in a git repository would not exist. When staging multiple files I always have to wait a second or two, which could be eliminated if that sheet would go. Does this make sense?

1 answer

0 votes
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2013

Hi Pascal,

The sheet is there as a visual cue to know when the operation is running and when it completes it will then close. This is important do you don't, for example, try committing before staging a load of files in some cases. Usually actions are dependent on one another which is why we show the sheet.

I'm not sure in what case you wouldn't want to see the progress of an action, however.

Hope that helps

Pascal Pfiffner July 4, 2013

You are right that staging a bunch of files will take a second or two, but when staging individual files that action takes a few milliseconds. In SourceTree however it takes a second because the show-animation has to finish and the hide-animation immediately kicks in.

I think it would be much more elegant if staging didn't block the entire application but only disabled the commit button for as long as the operation is running. The visual cue could for example be the files appearing dimmed in the staged area until they truly are staged, similar to when iTunes is downloading new songs.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events