The procedure entry point EVP_Cipher could not be located in the dynamic link library ... libssh2-1

HughOgilvy July 4, 2017

I've been using SourceTree perfectly for ages now, and have been on the latest version for a while (currently v2.1.2.5) without any issues.

I've been successfully pushing this morning, but then all of a sudden, SourceTree just started popping up the following error and will no longer push, and in fact pops up this error message at regular intervals - which now makes it totally un-usable!

Here's the error:

The procedure entry point EVP_Cipher could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\mingw32\bin\libssh2-1.dll. 

I found people had had similar issues with other DLLs, but none for this one.  I looked at various resoutions for other DLL issues people had had (eg looking for other copies of this file anywhere, etc) but there are no other copies at all on my computer (I use UltraSearch for a comprehensive search of my entire computer).

I tried un-installing SourceTree and installing it again, but it seems the uninstall really does bugger all, and so running the installation again just seemed to instantly start up SourceTree again.

I am no completely stuck, and this is a MAJOR issue for me in the middle of a bunch of majorly urgent jobs.

I don't have time to fiddle around with it, which is what has me really frustrated, even if there's a way to uninstall the whole thing properly and re-install it, that may help?  Although I don't want to lose all my settings and which repositories are added in SourceTree.

SURELY you'd think the uninstall should remove the DLL files - but it doesn't - I checked the C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\mingw32\bin\ folder after an uninstall, and everything was still there.  Really not happy :|

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
HughOgilvy July 4, 2017

SO, I managed to fix this issue in a roundabout way...

1. I downloaded GitHub desktop, and installed that...

https://desktop.github.com/

2. THEN I copied the ENTIRE contents of the folder:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\app-0.6.2\resources\app\git

INTO the SourceTree folder:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local

OVERWRITING everything in there (I made a backup first of course).

3. Ran SourceTree and tried pushing again, everything worked!

What lead me to this was that I HAD tried copying other versions that I'd found of libssh2-1.dll into the folder, and that hand't worked, and had changed the error message, so I realised all the files likely needed to work together.

SO my best guess here is that something broke within the embedded git code for SourceTree, and the DLL reference no longer worked, but replacing it with the GitHub version of git put a full working copy of everthing that worked together in the location instead.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events